Computer Help forum

General discussion

Red X from Outlook Express incomming Pics

by juviminor / May 5, 2006 4:53 AM PDT

I have Win XP S2 using Outlook EX. along w/ spybot/adaware and McAff firewall. Three out of five times when I recv mail w/ pics I get the bloody red X. I've tried everything-host,settings, view, etc, etc and still no fix. Everything I've read so far seems to deal w/ IE and browser pages, this is not my problem, just my e mail. I've been told that MS put this restriction in XP so you would not get any obscene images. True or not, I would like to see the pics that my friends mail to me. any NEW tips folks?
Thanks, juvii

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Red X from Outlook Express incomming Pics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Red X from Outlook Express incomming Pics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Outlook express pics
by tomron / May 5, 2006 5:37 AM PDT

It is possible that the issue is on the senders end.

Supposing your sender is using Outlook Express, they would choose Tools | Options from the menu, click the Send tab, click the HTML Settings button (the one in the "Mail Sending Format" panel), and check the box "Send pictures with messages".

Tom

Collapse -
Outlook Express
by Darton Fury / May 5, 2006 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook express pics

Click Tools, Options, Security Tab. Under Download Images, uncheck the box "Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail. But be aware that opening junk mail with images can make you a target of spammers.

Collapse -
Red X
by juviminor / May 5, 2006 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Express

Thanks Darton , but already tried that two mos ago. If you think of anything else, shout it out!
Juvii

Collapse -
3rd party blockers
by linkit / May 5, 2006 4:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Red X

What antivirus, antispam, or ISP software/toolbars (Earthlink, etc.) do you have installed?

Many of these programs have blockers in them to block pictures, pop-ups, etc. Open them and check for blockers and email settings.

Collapse -
3rd party blockers (addendum)
by linkit / May 5, 2006 4:46 PM PDT
In reply to: 3rd party blockers

...antispyware, too.

Collapse -
Red X
by juviminor / May 6, 2006 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook express pics

Thanks everyone but I think Tom may have put me onto something(senders not unblocking thier images) Going to pursue this ave. Again thanks.
juvii

Collapse -
Diagnostics.
by Kees Bakker / May 6, 2006 9:52 PM PDT

Start with forwarding such a message to yourself at another computer (school, work, hotmail viewed at a friends). If the pictures aren't shown there either, it most likely is inherent to the message. If they are shown there, it's something on your computer.

Kees

Collapse -
Red X
by juviminor / May 9, 2006 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Diagnostics.

Kees: Tried to send e mail w/ red x pics to friend at work but got an error msg"One or more pics in this msg could not be found. when you send these pics they will not be included", blah, blah. Sent anyway and friend said" no pics just RED X's" Where to now?

Juvii

Collapse -
Red X
by tomron / May 9, 2006 7:51 AM PDT

Go to Tools / Options, and then click the ?Connections? tab.
If you want Outlook Express to hang up after sending or checking mail, check the box. If you DON'T want it to hang up after, just uncheck the box.
NOTE: If you are someone who downloads their email then reads it offline (hang up after receiving), keep in mind that this can cause you to get a red X where a graphic should be. Since some pictures load from the server, you must be online when reading or printing to get the pictures. This is most evident when reading many newsletters.

Tom

Collapse -
heres another link
by tomron / May 9, 2006 8:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?