Computer Help forum

Question

Red tinted pixelation on computer screen

by annej96 / June 6, 2013 10:30 AM PDT

I have a question, as my computer has either decided it hates me or has contracted a virus. When starting up my computer there is a red background instead of the normal black/gray and when I load up sites they are outlined with red pixels, as are the icons on my desktop. My computer was absolutely fine a couple hours ago. I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 Home Premium, the model is M5030 and the system is about 4 years old(if that helps at all). I noticed that the red pixelation shows up mainly with the colors of blues, greens, black, and gray. I'm wondering whether I have a Virus or if maybe my monitor is messed up in some way. If anyone has any idea what this might be please let me know (running a Virus scan at the moment, to see if it finds anything)
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Red tinted pixelation on computer screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Red tinted pixelation on computer screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Some checks
by Willy / June 6, 2013 10:54 AM PDT

I would check the video properties of your setup. It may have changed whether you intended to or not. Ckick on an empty space of your desktop display, and under "personalize" see if it appears OK. If not but the sample show Ok, them maybe the backgrd. color got changed, return it provided that is the problem. Don't try to correct to remove the problem, its to see if the problem arises there. As any changes here are the total video effect, so if one color is wrong then that suggests you have a failed "chroma" or color generator at fault, which is h/w based. A slo, you can change the ackgrd. display to another and see if the problem remains. You then either resolve that by swapping video cards or monitor. Another test is to use the DXDIAG at the start button. Type in that command and run the test, it should appear OK, if not it should clue you in. Try all this and check results. Of course, if you have a spare monitor or video card, use them to test w/o doing any changes check results.

If nothing seems to correct the problem and you don't think its h/w based. You can use Win7 restore feature. Find s restore point before the problem arose and click on it and see if that corrects the issue. Again, it is hoped no truw h/w fault is present, so if the problem remains after a restore, that again suggest some h/w fault. I hardly think any virus or similar would cause this problem at time in thinking.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Update on problem
by annej96 / June 7, 2013 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Some checks

Thank you very much, Willy, for giving me a list of things to try; I checked the personalized settings and looked at my color controls but everything was normal there, with no problems found. I'm not quite sure what h/w based fault would mean (I'm not the best with computers) But I did try the DXDIAG you suggested, and everything came up fine. Unfortunately I don't have a spare monitor or video card lying around, and I did try a system restore with no luck...

I did however continue to research the problem I'm having and found a couple things that could cause the red-ish coloring that I'm getting. 1) a loose video/monitor cable and 2) a warped mother board, I also found a video showing exactly what my computer is doing, if you go on YouTube and type "laptop screen problems (black turn to red)" by the user "productLT"

Thank you again for trying to help! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.