HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Red tint on HDMI picture - LE40B535

by DjRedo / November 29, 2009 2:37 AM PST

I have a brand new LE40B535 that after one day of use has a strong red tint on all HDMI sources. I have tried resetting everything, but nothing i do seems to help.

This is only with HDMI, if I turn off the HDMI-sources the screen goes perfect black straight away. The PC-input also works perfectly.

One thing that I suspect has something to do with it, is that I only have one HDMI cable, but 2 sources (a PS3 with 1080p/i and a set top box with 720p). I have switched the cable between them several times uncritically today, and after this I noticed the red tint. I bought the TV yesterday, and when I went to bed it was all fine.

I am totally blank on HDMI, so this might very well be "human error". But if anyone can help me point out what the problem is, I'd appreciate it alot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Red tint on HDMI picture - LE40B535
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Red tint on HDMI picture - LE40B535
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Red tint on HDMI picture - LE40B535
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2009 6:51 AM PST

DjRedo,

I would recommend trying to adjust it out. While many televisions can "push" a certain primary color over another (red, blue or green), this is usually not something that should be a 'strong tint'.

You might also get in touch with your retailer and explain the situation. There may be an easy solution that they're aware of. It doesn't necessarily sound like an HDMI problem - though changing the cables might produce a different result - but may be an issue with the set itself.

Is it like a sparkly red that flashes lightly on the screen, or is everything just pushed red?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re: Red tint on HDMI picture - LE40B535
by DjRedo / November 29, 2009 11:02 AM PST

It is far more red than what could be adjusted out. English is not my first language, so I might give a wrong impression with my choice of words.

I also did a "hard reset" since i posted by holding down [exit] for 15 secs with no luck.

As mentioned, this problem was not there yesterday. So if the TV "pushes" one colour, it has changed its taste in the last 24 hours. Also, wouldn't that apply to all inputs, not just HDMI?

Collapse -
Here we go again
by DjRedo / December 12, 2009 4:55 AM PST

The TV mentioned in the post above was replaced as DOA. My new TV (same model) arrived the day before yesterday.

Today I was going to watch some internet-thingie on my laptop (running linux). I connected the PC, but the PC blacks out when trying to change the screen settings and needs a hard reset. The same happened the first time. While I restart the PC, i switch to the TV-tuner on HDMI: *dadam* the red tint is on my new TV as well.

So there is a connection here between connecting the PC and the HDMI going nuts. The weird thing is that the PC (VGA) input does not have the red tint. Neither does SCART. Im thinking this is a hickup in the firmware that probably could be fixed with a software update, rather than me returning my TV every time I connected my PC. I don't know how much the VGA and HDMI decoding/decrytping use the same protocols etc...

Hopefully I can get in contact with someone at Samsung to explain the problem, it might make sense to someone a bit more technical than me. But I find it hard to believe that its hardware related, since it's happened to me twice now...

Collapse -
Red Tint - Same Issue
by ewgray / January 8, 2010 5:01 PM PST
In reply to: Here we go again

I have the same problem on 2 new (Series 4 and series 5) LCD.

As soon as I connect a PC via VGA port I get an significant red tint on all HDMI ports.

I have upgraded firmware, reset all settings, tried full adjustment, removed VGA connection and problem persists.

Colour is normal across VGA connection.

Another issue I have noticed is that on the series 5 model when the PC is connected and restarted the TV screen freezes black. The remote still works blind which allows you to change the source to HDMI.

Collapse -
Red Tint - Samsung PS50B530S2WX
by scrauny / January 11, 2010 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: Red Tint - Same Issue

Hi,

I have the same issue on the Samsung PS50B530S2WX (Series 5 1080p Plasma).

It only started happening after I upgraded Linux on the PC, which might have caused some differences in the output of the VGA.

Now, I have a red tint on the HDMI inputs and the internal Freeview receiver. I do NOT have a red tint on the VGA or SCART inputs. Very weird.

I tried upgrading to the latest firmware, but that didn't help.

Has anyone got any info out of Samsung for this? Or found a workaround?

Thanks a lot!
Shaun

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 22, 2010 5:15 PM PST

scrauny,

Unfortunately, there's not much else I can suggest except to call the Samsung customer service center in your region. I'm not aware of any workarounds, or what would have caused this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Firmware issue
by DjRedo / January 24, 2010 12:05 AM PST

I already had 1 TV swapped because of this, but got the same problem straight away again when connecting it to my PC. It has to be a firmware hickup, and given that so many in here have the same problem I hope that the problem will be adressed to Samsung so that they can look into fixing it with an update, Im putting this one on service now and hopefully I can convince them to confront Samsung with it. For me it's wasted money as a TV that cannot be used on my laptop is pretty much worthless to me.

Collapse -
The same issue on my LE40B530
by Villanete / February 8, 2010 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: Red Tint - Same Issue

I connected a PC (Windows) via HDMI and another PC (Linux) via VGA the same day. One at a time. Because of that I'm not sure which of them caused the problem, but reading the comments in this thread, i suppose the problem was generated by connecting The Linux on the VGA port.

It's not the first time I conect a Linux via VGA on this TV, but IT'S THE FIRST TIME i do it with that specific computer. I suppose only specific PC models or Linux versions cause the issue. In this case: Acer Aspire One with Ubuntu 9.10.

Has someone solved the problem? Samsung said something?

Many thank's in advance.

Collapse -
Red Tint on Samsung LA40B530
by artipax / April 24, 2010 8:31 PM PDT

My TV suddenly had a Red Tint after 2 months of use. I googled my problem and was surprised to find this thread because it is exactly what happened to me. I have never used my TV as a PC Monitor until this weekend when I connected my Shuttle XPCSD30G running Ubuntu 9.10 on the VGA input.

Has anyone tried reinstalling the firmware? I'm a bit reluctant to do it myself because the TV info shows that my firmware is T-CRLPaufc-1010.0 but the downloaded firmware update is T-CRLPeufc - it may be a European Firmware and not Australian.

Collapse -
Here we go again and again.
by ewgray / January 27, 2010 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Here we go again

Just to confirm that description by DJREDO is exaclty as I have experienced on 2 Samsung LCD Tv's. I have had no support from Samsung so am afraid both TV's will be getting returned under warranty this weekend.

"So there is a connection here between connecting the PC and the HDMI going nuts. The weird thing is that the PC (VGA) input does not have the red tint. Neither does SCART. Im thinking this is a hickup in the firmware that probably could be fixed with a software update, rather than me returning my TV every time I connected my PC. I don't know how much the VGA and HDMI decoding/decrytping use the same protocols etc..."

The probem satarted whenI connected a Linux box to TV via VGA to act as a media server.Now all connections over HDMI over a number of cables froma number of devices has a red tint. Where the picture should be black it is red.

Collapse -
And another...
by josephryanwynne / January 4, 2011 10:48 PM PST

This happened to me recently, but I am unsure exactly what triggered it.
Over the past year I've connected multiple PCs and laptops under both Windows and Ubuntu via VGA. The machine (though I'm not exactly sure which one it was) which introduced the problem had been connected before and never caused any problems. About a month ago I noticed a red tint but my housemates claimed it looked fine so I didn't bother with it. Last night it was really obvious and annoying so I decided I need to do something about it.

Has anybody heard anything new about this? I would be much happier if it was a firmware problem I can fix myself rather than a hardware problem.

Can't identify the model as I'm at work at the moment.

Collapse -
Loose
by jwardl / January 10, 2010 1:44 AM PST

A heavy tint in a video connection like this usually means a loose connection/broken wire. Try another cable. If this doesn't resolve it, the problem is probably internal.

Collapse -
same problem with my 56" dlp
by stylinred / January 31, 2010 2:53 PM PST

I've got the same issue

i dont know why but starting this week, when i connect my laptop to my tv with an hdmi cable there would be a red cast over the picture.

At first it was a strong red, i adjusted my PC ATI settings to alter the Hue by "1" point (from 0 to -1)and the strong red cast would go away however there would be a slight red tint to everything...
(further adjusting the settings doesn't change anything, there is still a red tint)

its quite frustrating, as i have no idea whats wrong.. i've tried using a different hdmi slot, a different computer, a different hdmi cable, but i have the same issue; so its definitely an issue with the tv

Collapse -
same issue on 50" PDP
by scrauny / January 31, 2010 6:55 PM PST

As above, I've still got this issue. Will try talking to Samsung Support.

Anyone managed to fix it yet?

Collapse -
Green Tint LA22B450C4D
by simemal / February 7, 2010 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: same issue on 50" PDP

After connecting my PC to the Samsung TV All the DTV channels have a green tint which l am not able to reset or adjust out. Analog looks great with no issues. Test screen checks out ok, updated firmware and no change. Any advice?

Collapse -
Question
by Villanete / February 9, 2010 12:06 AM PST

Have you connected any hardware via VGA port? My question is to confirm if it's always the same procedure which breaks the TV.

Collapse -
In my case:
by DjRedo / February 9, 2010 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: Question

In my case I have only connected a laptop PC. Its a linux machin, apart from that as standard as it gets.

Collapse -
Well.....
by Villanete / February 9, 2010 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: In my case:

Then, it's the same. A PC with Linux connected through VGA...

I've replaced the TV by a new one, and I'm scared now about connecting a PC again, but it's one of my favourite features of the TV. Perhaps I will try to only conect the PC through the HDMI cable, and never, never again will use the VGA port on this TV.

It's a bad workaround, I know...

Collapse -
Your call
by DjRedo / February 9, 2010 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Well.....

I can almost guarantee you that the same thing will happen. I have spoiled 2 TVs this way. So if you dont want to put it back into service, thats the only valid workaround i have found this far.

Personally im not gonna accept it. Im putting the second TV for service now, and when they have it fixed ill go down there with my laptop and connect it again. I will do this until they refund me, fix the firmware issues or give me a replacement TV.

Just as in your case, the TV is pretty much worthless to me if I cannot use it on my laptop. So to stop using it is not an option.

Collapse -
Good option too
by Villanete / February 10, 2010 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Your call

In fact, the best way is the one you are going to take. But I'm afraid that Samsung starts telling that it's your computer problem (we know that is a TV problem).

Please, tell us how finishes your story with Samsung. Many thank's.

Collapse -
Feeling the frustration
by ewgray / February 10, 2010 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Your call

One of my TV's has been with Samsung for two weeks with no update on when the problem will be resolved.

I have another with the same problem which they will receive as soon as I have the first one back.

This is fundamentally a fault with the TV's, and its easy to reproduce - just connect a PC using VGA runing linux.

Collapse -
Yes but not always
by Villanete / February 11, 2010 12:35 AM PST

This is correct, but not in all situations. I have another laptop with linux that I've conected to the TV using the VGA connection hundreds of times without any trouble. In my case, my TV has problems with one of my two laptops (both running the same linux version).

Collapse -
Thats true
by ewgray / February 11, 2010 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Yes but not always

Just thought, I didn't have this problem until I upgrade to Ubunut 9.10.

Either way, connecting via analogue VGA signal should not break my TVs!!!

Collapse -
Of course
by Villanete / February 11, 2010 5:01 PM PST
In reply to: Thats true

Of course it shouldn't.

As I said I used Ubuntu 9.10 too. With an Intel integrated graphics card. It's really intriguing.

Linux is a virus!!! GrinGrinGrin It's a joke Silly

Collapse -
Count me in
by shake_z / February 11, 2010 6:46 PM PST
In reply to: Of course

I have exactly the same issue. Connected an Acer Aspire One running Puppy Arcade Linux yesterday, and now all HDMI sources have a heavy tint, although I'd describe it as more green than red? The VGA connection is still fine.

A TV that cannot be connected to a laptop is not much use to me, so hopefully Samsung will offer refunds or exchange for a different model. My girlfriend is calling the store (Argos UK) about it today.

Has anyone tried connecting a Windows machine? I would keep the set if I could do that, it's a small sacrifice to save the hassle of going through this again.

Collapse -
Getting it fixed
by scrauny / February 12, 2010 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Count me in

Finally got in touch with Samsung support on this - a reset didn't work. So they are sending someone out to repair it....

Once it's done, I think I'll avoid using the VGA port from now on. Don't want to go through this again!

Collapse -
by scrauny / February 15, 2010 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Getting it fixed

The Samsung engineer came today - a circuit board needs replacing and is on order.... So it's probably a hardware rather than a firmware issue.

With that in mind, I will avoid VGA connections from now on.

TV still not fixed, and the engineer was apparently very rough with it.

Collapse -
Just to add...
by shake_z / February 12, 2010 7:59 AM PST

Just to add, my TV is an LE32B450.

Collapse -
The same issue..
by Candleroad / March 27, 2012 4:20 AM PDT

I used a laptop running Jollicloud (a linux derivative) and low and behold a red tint I couldn't get rid off... Prior to that I added my windows 7 PC through the vga port and it was fine.. Definitely ruined the HDMI ports and Linux seemed to be the culprit.

Collapse -
Same
by Wilky72 / July 15, 2012 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: The same issue..

Hi all, I also have the same problem, mine occurred over a year ago, my brothers has the same issue also...mine started after connectin a pc through the VGA port however it was a windows pc not Linux.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.