Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Red square, Green disc, Blue triangle

by phattdaddy / August 15, 2004 3:09 PM PDT

Have fixed this problem many moons ago and cannot for the life of me remember how I achieved this!
For instance where it says Member login the lined square has a peculiar logo inside it vis a vis a red square, a green disc and a blue triangle, this includes any photo/picture which appears as a blank lined rectangle/square with the aforementioned logo.
Swept PC with NAV 2004 prior to this event?
XP Home on HP510a 1.2gig 256SD Ram 40gig H/D
running PestPatrol, Registry Mechanic, Ashampoo WinOptimizer Suite & NAV 2004

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Red square, Green disc, Blue triangle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Red square, Green disc, Blue triangle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Red square, Green disc, Blue triangle
by phattdaddy / August 15, 2004 5:50 PM PDT

Problem solved, there was an auto update from Symantec (NAV) earlier today which had slipped past me without notice.
Somehow the configuration in the advanced area of Internet Options had changed, not by me I assure you.
The only thing that could possibly have altered the settings was the NAV download and subsequently running NAV.
Come Jan 2005 (end of contract)methinks NAV will be abandoned for AVG.
In its 2004 config NAV is too big, too slow and still misses the more determined adware/spyware

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / August 15, 2004 8:40 PM PDT

Is it confirmed that NAV changed the settings at Internet Options(Advanced) (Show pictures ?) Is it known to change settings ? What other settings will NAV change ? Perhaps you some uninvited guests. I also run NAV 2004, and my settings have not been changed. (I have Spybot, Adaware and Spyware Blaster.)

Collapse -
by GFK / August 15, 2004 9:26 PM PDT

I agree with Papa. I too have NAV 2004 along with AdAware and Spybot installed. I have NEVER had NAV 2004 change "any" settings that were not associated with just NAV. I think you have another problem.

G.F.K.

Collapse -
by phattdaddy / August 16, 2004 12:48 PM PDT

I would accept your theory that an NAV update download cannot corrupt internet settings if there are no extraneous Bugs, Virus,Adware etc present in the system.
With my system unable to open Gifs my immediate reaction was to run NAV followed by PestPatrol then Registry Mechanic :- nothing found.
I have MemCheck, KeyLogger and CookiePatrol initiated on boot (all PestPatrol components) and nothing untoward was logged and nothing obvious in the event log.
The PC was running fine up to the popup from Symantec advising me of an update.
I closed all running programs and then downloaded the update and successfully installed same.
On opening my home page the fault was there quite plainly, no Gifs opening.
Notwithstanding the fact that I have fixed the problem by resetting Internet Options, you tell me how this event occurred.
PS. I have persevered with NAV since it was first marketed by Norton and have had a fair share of ups and downs with NAV since Symantec took over, but that is another story.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / August 16, 2004 1:54 PM PDT

Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools and open up Event Viewer and see what happened at the time of your NAV update. There may be a clue there.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Please ignore post !!!! nothing new.
by Papa Echo / August 16, 2004 1:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Papa Echo / August 16, 2004 2:15 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!