Speakeasy forum

Praise

Red light cameras...no longer working

by Willy / June 28, 2013 3:43 AM PDT

it seems since the contract wasn't renewed the operation of the cameras isn't going to benefit the township. The vote on any continued operation is still to be had, but it seems they're on the way out. Maybe public opinion finally got through.

http://www.presspublications.com/from-the-press/11963-traffic-cameras-in-northwood-no-longer-operating

The only good thing i ever found from their operation is that some of the funds garnered were used to improve a problem intersection. That wasn't cheap but it got done with camera funds relatively fast. Now, that intersection has been made into a continuous protected rt. turn(good use of funds, IMHO). -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Red light cameras...no longer working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Red light cameras...no longer working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same here in San Diego.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

There was no problem at the intersection at all. No correlation of accident reduction where the cameras were installed so it was not a safety issue at all.

-> Revenue enhancer <-

http://www.cbs8.com/story/20933368/red-light-traffic-cameras-shut-down-in-san-diego

Let's do a little math for fun.

"Fines are nearly $500.

The intersection accounted for almost 25 percent of the nearly 20,000 citations issued by the program in 2011, U-T San Diego reported. However, statistics show no accidents at the location since 2001, according to the newspaper."

That one intersection at 5,000 times 500 bucks could account for nearly 2.5 million bucks? But with no accidents since 2001, it seems the wrong intersection unless it was solely for enhancing some revenue.
Bob

Collapse -
Governments do that a lot
by Diana Forum moderator / June 29, 2013 4:43 AM PDT

I remember the city council increasing the fine for overtime parking as a revenue stream. When the paper found out, they changed the wording to preventing someone parking so long.

Diana

Collapse -
Be glad you're not in NYC
by Willy / June 29, 2013 4:06 PM PDT

I remember in a small town that a ticket was issued for expired meter. They gave you a ticket, an envelope, and the fine could be placed in envelope to be put in a courtesy box, fine roughly $.50, meter was $.05. Now, what could that be now, I bet maybe $30-35 if not more in that town. Sure it was a long time ago, but meters run only $1/hr. or less now, yet they smack you with a $30-35. Of course, big cities that's at least $50-65 provided they don't toll or wheel boot you which is even more. Anyone see a pattern here? It seems they hit you harder with fees for traffic and such, and then you have to deal with insurance fees on top of that. It may actually pay to hire a lawyer to fight it in the long run. -----Willy Happy

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/violation_codes.shtml

They even have discounts NYC: http://www.nytix.com/Parking/articles/ticketstrategies.html

Collapse -
Oh yeah...right on the button
by Willy / June 30, 2013 7:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Looks like you can also go faster too.
by Steven Haninger / June 30, 2013 10:09 PM PDT

Ohio has just joined its neighbors in allowing 70 mph on the rural highways.

From my experience, in most cases that will mean people will need to slow down. Happy

Collapse -
Finally
by Willy / July 1, 2013 12:43 AM PDT

"rural highways", I'm sure you meant just highways, pretty much the interstate type and toll roads. The typical major rural roads will remain as is or unaffected. While, I hope people will slow down, it I recall right many of these roads were 70mph to begin with. It was the energy crisis that got the 55mph limit and then it took this long to come back. We had a local TV morning show explaining what the OSP would do once it came online. Drivers will still speed but it won't be in lower limits that is now 70mph. I can't recall all the times I was pulled over for doing 61pmph in a 55mph zone, etc.. Of course, I wasn't trying to break the law but it was so natural back then to be doing 70mph. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?