Samsung forum

General discussion

Red/Blue vertical lines on display

by Hanginlowe / November 28, 2009 8:15 AM PST

Hi All,
I have a Samsung LNT4061FX/XAA TV purchased at Conn's Electronics. It is about 1 1/2 years old.

It has been mounted on the wall for the last calendar year. I decided to lower the mount position so I removed the set from the wall, lifting from the side and bottom. I placed the set face down on my bed on top of a comforter I had placed to protect the screen. I performed my wall modifications and replaced the unit, lifting from the sides and/or bottom.

After installation, I powered the television set on and there were three extremely thin vertical lines that were immediately noticeable. The lines are visible whether in PC, Satelite, Cable or DVD modes. The are visible on the "blue" screen. They are most notable on white/light backgrounds. The lines start at the top of the screen and drop vertically 3", 3" and 10 inches respectively. The first line is about 4: from the left side, the second and third are about 25" and 25 1/2" from the left side. All of the lines have a distinct red razor line with portions of blue fuzz sprinkled intermittently along the respective lines. The lines have diminished somewhat as the day has worn on but still remain.

In addition, There are several small (pea size and smaller)grey "splotches" at across the top of the screen, all in the same horizontal position.

Lastly, there is a black area of "haze" on the top left area of the screen, darkening or clouding the image.

When I press against the screen, some of the verical lines partially clear up but the splotches and black cloud are unaffected.

A second issue is that the unit turns of and back occasionaly. Is this a problem that would be resolved with a software/firmware update?

Thanks in advance and look forward to any input. I intend on purchasing another samsung unit for the living room but want to see how I fair on resolving issues with this unit first before taking the plunge.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Red/Blue vertical lines on display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Red/Blue vertical lines on display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update to Red/Blue lines
by Hanginlowe / November 28, 2009 8:52 AM PST

when in pc mode, the lines appear to be over my curser, I can see the pc desktop image THROUGH vertical lines as though there is a space between the screen and lcd panel. Is it possible this is dust that was unsettled during my removal/installation process? Thanks

Collapse -
Red/Blue vertical lines on display
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2009 10:03 AM PST

Hanginlowe,

Unfortunately, laying the set on its panel side likely caused the electronics to push up against the panel. I'm sure the last thing you'd like is for me to add insult to injury in this situation, but the manual notes that the panel should be placed at no more than a 15 degree angle at any time.

Doing so would void the warranty if there was one, and most manufacturers have the same policy.

I'd like to somehow earn your business, but the panel may have been physically damaged, and that's not covered. So I'm not sure what could be done to remedy the situation, as much as I'd like to.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Update
by Hanginlowe / November 29, 2009 11:37 AM PST

Mr Samsung Tech,
I appreciate the quick response. Since the post most of the red/blue lines have dissappeared. I have occasionally massaged the screen from the front and turned my backlight brighter. Now I have turned the backlight down to where I normally keep it and the lines still diminish a little each day.

To answer a question/concern you had I am an avid Samsung customer, having a Blackjack II phone, 2 HDTV's, several other electronic items as well as pc components (DVD Blueray burner, HDD for pc, etc.). It is service like this that bring me back, an open forum that is actually read and responded to. I was primarily, (and still am) concerned about the HDTV's in particular. I have noted a lot of people having on/off issues and that is a concern.

Collapse -
Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2009 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: Update

Hanginlowe,

So the panel is actually improving? I hate to say it, but I'm pleasantly surprised to hear. That's good news. Is it still getting better?

I appreciate your kind words, and your concerns. I am looking into the different cases that people present here, and in some cases, we've identified issues that people have brought here and have positively resolved those issues. Those changes were brought because we were here to listen and act on it.

There may be issues that aren't yet resolved, and I'm here to identify what we can do better, and will continue to do so.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Replacement Panel/Display
by HDnest / December 19, 2010 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Update

I have a Samsung 50" HPT5054X/ XAA and am experiencing the problem of what first started as one red/blue vertical line, then 2weeks later 75% of screen consumed by the lines and finally now double images. I have read several people having same issues, yet no recall from Samsung or one defined answer as a solution. The TV is only 2yrs old!

*Can anyone let me know the cost of parts/labor to replace the panel/ display?
*Samsung Rep or other victims of this issue... what has been your solution and its cost?

Thank you

Collapse -
Replacement Panel/Display
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 20, 2010 7:14 AM PST

HDnest,

The OP posted a year ago, and it was a different technology than the HTP models.

The solution is best addressed by a technician. Unfortunately, I'm unable to diagnose this, and I don't have costs for parts or labor available here. I'd recommend that you call the Samsung customer service center in your region for further assistance.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?