The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Recycling or Selling Cables/Cards/Memory/Chargers/CD-ROMs

by technomensch / January 24, 2009 12:36 AM PST

Hi Guys,

Absolutely loved your episode on recycling old gadgets, but I'm kind of in a stumped spot here. I have electronics to recycle, but not the kind discussed. As you can imagine, over the years, one has a tendency to not just accumulate lots of newer devices, but also cables and chargers of all shapes and sizes, and the kind of items that might be tough to recycle through the options provided. Essentially, I'm looking at 2 different types of items:

Cables and Chargers:
- USB 1.0
- Firewire
- Serial/Parallel/IDE
- RCA Video/Audio (The Red/Yellow/White ones)
- S-Video
- Phone, Network, etc..
- Cell Phone Wall/Car Chargers
- CD Car Chargers
- etc...
- And some chargers/cables that I've long forgot what they even go to.

Old Computer components that have been replaced due to upgrades that I never got rid of:
- old, outdated, low MB RAM/memory
- modem, network, and sound cards
- CD ROM/CD Burner/DVD/DVD Burners that are just outdated and slow, but completely usable
- Keyboards and mice (and those little USB adapters that come with the mice)
- Hard Drives whose data I would love to remove the data, but when connecting using an IDE to USB adapter to wipe them, they are not even found by my laptop, or they won't even spin up (Probably a topic for a whole different discussion)

There are the obvious options:
- garage sale
- try to find a local computer show
- bring them to work, dump them on a table, and say "have at it", but since some of it may be so old, I'd be laughed at
- ebay/craigslist

But I'd like to try to find one kind of one stop shop where I can just box them all up and send them away.

I've had this stuff gathering over the years and want it gone, but could use some extra cash if possible.

Am I living in a pipe dream, or do you guys have a solution/suggestion to help me out?

Marc K.
Coral Springs, FL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recycling or Selling Cables/Cards/Memory/Chargers/CD-ROMs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recycling or Selling Cables/Cards/Memory/Chargers/CD-ROMs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
speakers
by technomensch / January 24, 2009 12:55 AM PST

oh, I forgot to mention speakers as well.

And I'm looking for an option other than freecycle, which is my last resort.

Collapse -
recycling cables/chargers
by cjisme / May 5, 2009 3:43 AM PDT

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I am interested in what to do with all this stuff as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?