Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

recycle bin problems

by darkspectre / March 18, 2005 6:07 AM PST

I have a laptop running on XP home edition and a week ago I noticed that when I deleted something or dragged it into the recycle bin, it prompts if I want to delete it and when I say yes, it permanantly deletes it (like when you press shift+delete) without going into the recycle bin. I want to know how to fix this problem before I accidentally delete something really important and can't get it back.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recycle bin problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recycle bin problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: recycle bin problems

Has anyone changed the Recycle Bin properties?

Right click the Recycle Bin and select Properties. Under the Global tab, there should be a tick against, "do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted".

If not ticked, any files you delete will miss the Recycle Bin completely.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
that was the first thing I tried
by darkspectre / March 18, 2005 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

and I found that it was still not going into the recycle bin. No one but me uses my computer, and I have it password protected, so no one can access it.

Collapse -
Next step
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 8:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Files Do Not Show Up in Recycle Bin When Deleted
by bigjb3 / March 25, 2005 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: Next step

I'm having the same problem. I read the support article just referenced. However, it does not list XP as one of the operating systems it applies to. It says to log in as Administrator. How do I do that? I do not have a C:\Recycled directory as it refers to. I do have a C:\Recycler directory, however. When I open it, it shows no files in it. The article says I need to "take ownership" of the "recycled" directory.It says I need to locate the directory and select Properties/Ownership. There is no Ownership option to click. There is a Properties choice, but no Ownership choice. It then says to restore default permissions to the directory with the Permissions option, but I do not have a Permissions option. Please help.

Collapse -
Just got my Recycle Bin working
by newjerseyvideo / March 30, 2005 11:08 AM PST

I have been having the same problem for months. I just got done reading the folowing quote from your post when the lightbulb over my head lit up. "I do not have a C:\Recycled directory as it refers to. I do have a C:\Recycler directory". Me too. The lightbulb over my head: the last letter of the folder name. I just changed the name from C:\Recycler to C:\Recycled. My recycle bin just started working. I didn't even have to reboot. To do this: click Start/My Computer, click Tools/Folder Options, click the view tab on top, make sure that "show hidden files and folders" is checked and that "hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. Click OK. Click your "Local Disc" drive. The one your operating system is on. Find the "Recycler" folder. Right click on it. Choose rename from the menu. Change the last letter from "r" to "d". Presto, It worked for me. Hopefully for you and everyone else who has this problem. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Seems like good advice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 7:03 PM PST

Thanks for the information Newjersey

Mark

Collapse -
THANKS!!!
by darkspectre / April 8, 2005 7:46 AM PDT

It fixed it, thanks so much!

Collapse -
Just got my Recycle Bin working-thanks
by chrisxpc / April 13, 2005 7:43 AM PDT

To newjerseyvideo. Thanks so much for your "r" to "d" solution. I have had this problem since before Christmas and tried numerous 'solutions' offered by forums etc. Couldnt believe such a simple change would cure it. Thanks again.
chrisxpc

Collapse -
THANK U
by foofan16 / May 30, 2005 1:53 PM PDT

DEFINITLEY WORKED! THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was driving me crazy!

Collapse -
If fixed it for me!
by bigjb3 / July 16, 2005 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK U

Thanks so much. I wonder how the file got mis-named in the first place.

Collapse -
BUG or LIMITATION of the XP Recycle Bin.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: recycle bin problems

Just FYI, the Recycle Bin has a limitation that you can't delete a file over 4 gigabytes and have it reside in the recycle bin. I've yet to hear a technical reason for this limitation, but its there.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?