Computer Help forum

General discussion

Recycle Bin Drop Down Arrow

by 10ring / December 29, 2009 4:01 AM PST

I am using Windows Vista with Mozilla Firefox and frequently clean out my recycle bin after deleting files. Although no files show in the recycle bin afterwards, drive and file names show up when clicking on the drop down arrow. I How do I get rid of this information? I would either like to get rid of the drop down arrow or make it so that nothing shows when I click on the dropdown arrow. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recycle Bin Drop Down Arrow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recycle Bin Drop Down Arrow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's not the Recycle Bins item
by ChuckT / December 29, 2009 3:38 PM PST

The drop down menu is nothing to do with the Recycle bin, that is part of the Windows Explorer "recently used directories."
It has nothing to do with what files you had, at one time, in your Recycle bin.

You are chasing rainbows.

If you have the Pro version of Vista, then you can run the Group policy Editor to set your clearing out of some of the "recent tracks" and history of places you've been when you exit Windows. You could also search for some tools that will perform that clear out of your tracks when you exit Windows.

But you really are not going to gain anything in the recapturing of space with any of that.

Collapse -
Drop Down Arrow
by 10ring / December 29, 2009 9:56 PM PST

Thank you Chuck. You are absolutely right about it not having anything to do with the "recycle bin." That is where I initially found the problem, and was horrified! After messing around with things last night, these files pop up with any of the drop down arrows I click on, whether it be in the recycle bin, my documents, etc... I try to delete these from the drop down list, but can't seem to do it no matter what I try. I don't have the pro version or Vista, but instead I think it is the Home version. It is very frustrating, and one would think there would be an easy way to delete this information.

Collapse -
by Phil Crase / December 29, 2009 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Drop Down Arrow

Are you talking about site HISTORY? If so, internet options,delete history, Internet Explorer, in Mozilla Firefox it would be under TOOLS, delete private data.

Collapse -
Drop Down Arrow
by 10ring / December 29, 2009 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: Deletion

Actually, I am not sure it is even related to the internet. The files being shown are from a flashdrive (N:) and can be seen in the drop down without internet connection. I have worked under tools, options, etc, and nothing seems to be deleting this.

So here is the scenario:
I plug in a flashdrive and the info pops up as N:drive. The names of the files that I open can then be seen in the dropdown list located in the address bar of My Documents, Recycle Bin, etc... I can't seem to delete the file names from the drop down area.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?