HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Recurring Files???

by piotrmaciej / September 24, 2007 9:06 AM PDT

Can someone please tell me why this is happening, I had created on my desktop 2 'new folders', I then decided to delete these created folders, yet everytime I shut down my pc and reboot the following day, these 2 'new folders' miraculously keep reapearing on my desktop even though I deleted them earlier and cleared my recycle bin, how perfectly bizarre is this, can anyone shed any light on what I ought to do to permanently delete these from my pc?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recurring Files???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recurring Files???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try a google for a little program, Move on Boot.
by Coryphaeus / September 24, 2007 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Recurring Files???
Collapse -
Recurring Files
by piotrmaciej / October 1, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

Mark,

tell me, when I respond to you, does everyone else see the message that I have posted in the cnet forum? I tried the camera issue, but alas all to no avail, the photos were downloaded by my inserting the card from the camera into either a scandisk reader, or dircetly through the card reader built into my Printer, which I really cannot recollect. I have registered with imageshack, uploaded the photos, but am somewhat bemused by the instruction herein:

Blog URL:
Myspace.com
email:
Myspace.com
password:

what sould I do next?

Piotr,

I think maybe I ought to send you the photos directly to your email address and then maybe you could accordingly post them so that all the computer wizz persons out there on CNET can see the issue I have and then offer their comments?

Cheers Piotr

Collapse -
OK, lets do that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 1, 2007 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Recurring Files

That's fine by me. Goto my profile, either http://my.cnet.com/5270-4_92-0-1.html?tag=unilogin or click on my name, and send me a quick email and I will reply to you direct. That will give you my email address.

Then you can send me the images and I can post them, or edit them first if there is any personal information and then post them.

Mark

Collapse -
Correction to my profile link
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 1, 2007 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, lets do that.
Collapse -
Try this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 8:40 PM PDT

Your Desktop folder is made up of contents from a Desktop folder in your Documents and Settings/{your account} folders, and also in Documents and Settings/All Users/Desktop.

Make sure those folders are not being re-generated from the All Users Desktop folder.

Also, carry out anti-virus and anti-spyware scans, just to make sure you have no malware.

Mark

Collapse -
Recurring Folders??
by piotrmaciej / September 24, 2007 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

Mark, thanks for your reply, do you think you could give me a step by step tutorial as to how I should go about in removing these persistent recurring folders on my desktop?

Thanks, Piotr

Collapse -
It may not work, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Recurring Folders??

to check your "All users" folder do this;

Right click the Start menu button, and select Explore All Users. A Windows Explorer window will open with, highlighted on the left, the Start menu sub-folder for the All Users folder. Just highlight the Desktop folder above that and the contents of the Desktop will display in the right hand pane.

{Note, this is Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. Windows Explorer is a very useful utility for exploring and managing the files stored on the hard disk. You can also open Windows Explorer from Start > All Programs > Accessories if ever you want to use it}.

Some files may be hidden. To show all files, goto Tools > Folder options. In the small Folder Options window that opens click the "View" tab and change the following;

1] Show hidden files and folders - Select.
2] Hide extensions for known file types - De-select.
3] Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) - De-select.

Click Apply then OK. When you have finished with Windows Explorer I suggest you go back to Tools > Folder Options and reverse 1 and 3 above. But retain option 2.

It may be that your own created folders are saved in this Desktop folder. If so, delete them by right clicking them and selecting Delete.

You can also see your own accounts Desktop folder here. In the list on the left click the + sign next to your account name to expand the list, then highlight, (click), the Desktop folder. Remove those created folders from in here as well if they are listed.

The only way to check is to reboot, (restart), your computer.

If that doesn't work, go through the same procedure again, then make sure your Recycle Bin is empty before re-booting.

If they are still there on this 3rd reboot, then you could try Coryphaeus' suggestion of MoveOnBoot. This is a utility that helps move stubborn files and folders that won't delete. Google will help you find it, but please note it is a powerful tool and care should be taken. Make sure you only select the files or folders you want to delete, and no others.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Recurring Files!!!
by piotrmaciej / September 25, 2007 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: It may not work, but

Hello Mark,

Alas all the instructions were followed to the 'hilt' and also the 'moveonreeboot' program I tried well before you very kindly sent me your instructions, and that program does not even shift this problem!! I am at a loss, any other suggestions?

much appreciated,

Piotr

Collapse -
Next steps, tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 25, 2007 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Recurring Files!!!

about these folders. Right click them and select Properties;

1] Are they shortcuts? If they are there will be a Shortcut tab
2] Are they unusual in anyway? I can't say more than that because I don't know what might be unusual in this case.
3] If you double click on any folder, it will open a Windows Explorer type window. What is the path address in the address bar? (If the address bar does not show, goto View > Toolbars and select Address bar).
4] Is there anything inside each folder?
5] With hidden and System protected files set to show, (Tools > Folder options, View tab), are there any hidden files inside the folders?
6] What are the names of these folders? Do the names change each time the folders re-appear when you start the computer?

What were these folders originally for? I ask because there seems to be a case where a media player, eg Windows Media Player but it could be any, keeps re-creating folders on the Desktop where ripped music is stored. Do you have a media player that loads up immediately you startup the computer?

{Next steps, if none of this provides any clues, is to check Google for "Deleted folders reappear on the Desktop". Also to check MCONFIG}.

Tell us what you find out and/or know.

Mark

Collapse -
Recurring Files
by piotrmaciej / September 25, 2007 8:04 PM PDT

Hello again Mark,
in answer to your questions, no these are not shortcuts, these were created files by me directly to my desktop.
They are not in anyway unusual, bar the fact that they keep recurring after my having deleted them, so I guess that would make them 'unusual'!
Having double clicked on each folder, this is the path I get 'C:\Documents and Settings\Piotr\Desktop\New Folder'
There is nothing inside each folder.
There are no hidden files in these folders.
The folders are entitled 'Laguna' and 'New Folder'
No, they keep recurring with the same name which was allocated to them on creation.
They were created, both of them for storing digital photos.

Mark you went on to say check 'MCONFIG' where would I check this? my apologies for being so vague, but I am truely a novice, and am 'edified' only when I seek help from the likes of persons like yourself who are in these discussion forums.

cheers, Piotr

Collapse -
That was just a note to me....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 25, 2007 8:29 PM PDT

Hi again Piotr.

That MSCONFIG note was just to remind me of more steps to consider.

Obviously something is re-creating these folders on reboot, and I suspect it is some program, rather than a Windows service or process. You mention these were for storing digital photos. Were/are these photos from a camera connected by USB? Or were they from some other source, like a CD, DVD or from the internet?

If from a digital camera, try this; re-connect the camera and then deleted the Desktop folders Then transfer some photos from the camera to your My Documents > My Pictures folder. Perhaps this might reset any settings that have been made.

Similarly, if from a CD or DVD, try the same thing with that CD/DVD.

If that fails, we then need to look at your Startup contents. We can do that using the System Configuration Utility and that is accessed by going to Start > Run, type in "msconfig", (without the quotes), then clicking OK.

When the System Configuration Utility displays, click the Startup tab. This lists all the programs that load up when you start the computer. Is there anything there that would suggest a program would be doing this, eg a photo editor, etc?

I can't help you there, only you can see the list, but Google will help. It could be a process of de-selecting programs, rebooting, and seeing what happens. When you make any changes here two things will happen. You will get a message saying the changes will not take effect until the next restart and offering to restart now. That choice is yours. The second is, when you do restart, Windows will display an information window telling you that you have chosen Selective Startup. That message can be suppressed from within the window itself.

If you like, you could post a screen print of the System Configuration Utility into something like ImageShack. It's a web site that allows images to be posted for free on the internet and gives you a web address to post in forums like these. But the problem is the System Configuration Utility Startup list usually has a scroll bar to see all the entries, and so you would have to either post two images to allow me to see the full list, or take two screen prints and manipulate them using something like your MSPaint program into one image.

Mark

Collapse -
Recurring Files
by piotrmaciej / September 30, 2007 10:26 PM PDT

Hello again Mark,

firstly let me say how grateful I am that you are answering my questions regarding this infernal annoyance that I have with my PC, what I have done is to take screen shots and paste them into 'paint' and have saved them, can you supply me with your email address, or would you rather I post them as you have stated on 'imageshack'?

Cheers Piotr

Collapse -
Recurring Files
by piotrmaciej / October 1, 2007 2:10 AM PDT

Mark,

I have uploaded the screen shots of the 'system configuration utility'in my PC in 'photobox' but I need an email address to which I grant the viewer permission to access the photos? so where do I post the photos to you personally or to the forum?

Kind Regards,

Piotr

Collapse -
There are other online image sites that do this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 1, 2007 2:33 AM PDT

I have no aversion to letting you have my email address, but if you post them to a site like ImageShack or PhotoBucket you can then copy the site url address and paste it into here for others to see and dive in with help as well.

Did you try the suggestions about connecting up the digital camera again?

Mark

Collapse -
piotrmaciej
by tomron / September 25, 2007 9:59 PM PDT

Try system restore one day before you created these folders.

Collapse -
Just a thought...
by bentedgz / September 26, 2007 12:40 AM PDT

I have seen an issue like you are experiencing before, but only on business computers in a managed domain. It happened when the IT folks installed a security program designed to keep users from making any unauthorized changes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.