Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Recovery using the recovery media creator cds

by gb6ab / March 17, 2009 9:33 PM PDT

I would like to know how do I use the recovery media creator cds.I recently tried to do a full factory settings recovery using the PC angel facility that comes with the PC.This didn't work however and after it went through the whole process the computer was in fact in a worse state.There was software and files etc. back on it that I had downloaded then removed a long time ago.I tried all the recovery options from normal recovery to factory settings recovery.I want to do this as my PC is badly fragmented and windows media player is not working properly.I have tried countless things to fix them but finally resorted to this and this doesn't even work.So I have created a backup using recovery media creator.Can anyone tell me how I use the disks.I created using 5 disks,I boot using cd drive then it asks me if I want full recovery it says press f I do this and it takes me to PC angel.Do I then press factory settings/quick recovery will it recover from the media disks or will it just go through the process that I have tried 3 times.If it does recover from the disks will it stop at intervals and tell me to insert disk 2/3 etc.Sorry this thread is so long can anyone help or advise,thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovery using the recovery media creator cds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovery using the recovery media creator cds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a few issues here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

No make and model so I can't check to see if there are any DOCUMENTATION on how to use those restore CDs. But let's move on.

-> Sometimes I run across restore CDs that don't quite work. Here's a trick I learned from all the field and shop work. Ready? Copy those CDs onto fresh media. I won't tell how to copy a CD since there is plenty of web content on that but the idea here is that the restore media was likely made years ago and could have faded. We know the laser in the CD/DVD drive did.
Bob

Collapse -
And the other issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2009 10:27 PM PDT

You didn't tell what brought you to use those CDs. For example some were having troubles that pointed to a failing hard disk and they thought this would fix that. No, we still get to pop in a fresh hard disk.
Bob

Collapse -
Make and model
by gb6ab / March 18, 2009 4:49 AM PDT

Hi, here is the make and model - MCE 2005

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: iQon.ie
System Model: 865G7MF-SH
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.20GHz
Memory: 1262MB RAM
Page File: 446MB used, 2587MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I only made the cds two days ago from the recovery media creator program that is on the PC.I don't have any other problems apart from a large red band of fragmentation that will not be removed,and windows media player is not playing files.I have tried many things to fix these problems but to no avail.I would just like to know how to use these media creator recovery cds incase I decide to go down that route as pc angel isn't working properly.Or if there is another way to restore to factory settings without the xp cd as this didn't come with one.The reason being I have to create them using media creator I suppose.Hope that helps?

Collapse -
So no maker?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Make and model

I can't see it in your post. Makers are such as Dell, HP, etc.

MCE-2005 is a common name of Windows XP Media Center Edition.
Sorry, but as it stands I won't be able to find the install/restore notes.
Bob

Collapse -
Make
by gb6ab / March 18, 2009 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: So no maker?

Iqon.ie it says in the post and model,you can have a look on the web site but I cant get the info I need as they dont seem to want to answer my emails.

Collapse -
You do the work here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Make

I've seen members post such detail and we find the system maker in such a report to be Asus or such and find the machine is a HP.

Here, this is all volunteer and you get to help others help you. A link to your product manual and I'll read it. And a clear answer to my questions rather than what looks like a copy/paste from some software that lists the machine's guts will be appreciated and I'll go looking.

Remember, this is all volunteer and just like the person who helps you change the flat tire, you are still doing most of the work.

-> I see also you write the model is 865G7MF-SH which is not the model of the machine but the motherboard model made by FoxConn.

Don't try to avoid telling details like this. It consumes time and effort. If it's a clone, tell so. If it's a Gateway, Acer, HP, just spit it out.

More importantly, tell why you are doing thist. Some have a failed hard disk and try to fix it this way (and that fails.) Some installed Linux and there is another step to use the restore media. Then we have old drives that don't work well. Some owners are just learning that those CD/DVD drive don't last past 2 years.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?