Question

Recovery of Information from XP to 2007

Hello,

My boss had me upgrade a co-worker's home computer from Windows XP to 2007. I made the mistake of not doing a clean backup of all the documents and other information.

Needless to say, the upgrade wiped away all the software and the setup from before. Working with the co-worker, most of the programs have been restored, but there are two issues that right now are the most pressing, which concern Microsoft Outlook and Itunes.

The co-worker had a series of older e-mails and contacts saved in Outlook that are obviously no longer there after the upgrade. My question is whether the older e-mails and the address book can be recovered? I've tried searching around in the folder that held all the previous documents and have not been able to find anything that might be helpful. Is there any way to perform a recovery?

As far as ITunes, there is a folder for MyMusic but only what appears to be one large file document for the music. What confused me in this instance was that there were 3 songs that were not recently downloaded in that folder. If the co-worker plugs in his Ipod to charge it, will he lose the tracks there? I advised him to contact Apple to look into his account and recover any songs that he downloaded.

I realized that I made a huge mistake in the upgrading process. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Recovery of Information from XP to 2007
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recovery of Information from XP to 2007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: recovery

There might be a Windows.old folder that contains data from his old profile. Did you search for *.pst in Explorer? Did you search for *.mp3?

Yes, you made a mistake by not doing a backup. But so did your co-worker by not having made a regular backup in all the years he had that PC.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
DO NOT PLUG IN THAT IPOD.

Google IRIP and see the instructions there if they didn't backup their stuff.

If recovery must be done, turn the power off, head to http://www.drivesavers.com and get a quote.
Bob

CNET Forums