Computer Help forum

General discussion

Recovery Hard Drive has Disappeared

by penguinpagey / July 2, 2010 8:19 PM PDT

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 6920G, with Windows 7 Ultimate, and was going to update my system restore point in my recovery hard drive, only to find that the recovery drive does not show up in My Computer, and cannot be located when I try and open up my last system restore point. Could you please help or suggest what may have happened to it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovery Hard Drive has Disappeared
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovery Hard Drive has Disappeared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 7's System Restore
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 8:40 PM PDT

Does not store a restore point for drive c on drive d. So what you noted sounds proper.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by penguinpagey / July 2, 2010 9:05 PM PDT

Fine - my d drive has disappeared. help!

Collapse -
In many systems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

The recovery drive is hidden from Explorer. Did you try the command prompt?

Collapse -
not there
by penguinpagey / July 2, 2010 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: In many systems

'the system cannot find the drive specified'

Collapse -
Then back to the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: not there

Does the BIOS show a drive? (I can't tell if this is a drive or a partition because the details in your post are light.)

If this is a partition does it show in Drive Management?

And since it's a recovery drive, it should be used for that and not for any other purpose.
Bob

Collapse -
no success
by penguinpagey / July 2, 2010 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Then back to the top.

I checked both the BIOS and device manager and only my c drive shows up in both
my recovery drive was already full with all my data before it disappeared, and contained nothing else.
Do you think my problem is down to the laptop being knocked for example, and not being able to connect to my other built in hard drive?

Collapse -
Device Manager?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2010 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: no success

Sorry I asked about Drive Management. See that post below where it's noted again.

Collapse -
Wait....
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2010 9:49 PM PDT
... I have an Acer Aspire 6920G, with Windows 7 Ultimate, and was going to update my system restore point in my recovery hard drive, ...

Not sure of what you are trying to do. Revocery hard drive D:\ ? ACER stores its recovery files at a hidden partion on the disk where the system folder is, usually C:\ and has no drive letter assigned. You need to tell more about the "D Drive"... The "Acer Aspire 6920G" is a Notebook/Laptop, so it has only one physical HD. Therefore, that D:\ is a partition. Is that created by you,or came with the computer ? It should not contain the "ACER recovery files".
Collapse -
You may want to consider.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 9:54 PM PDT

Restoring your files from backup to a folder and move on. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-6920G-Notebook.8783.0.html finds this model has ONE HARD DRIVE so it's a safe bet that D: was some partition.

Partitions do not safeguard our files from loss. That's why we backup. That way when our originals vanish, we have a backup. And when our backups vanish we create a new backup.

While we can discuss what you see and you can show that on photobucket.com the problem you lead off with appears to not be the problem you are trying to solve.

In closing, content, drives, partitions vanish all the time. The defense is easy. Backup what we can't lose.

I'm about to go on a trip. Part of my preparation is to backup to more than 2 places in case my entire laptop is lost.
Bob

Collapse -
More details
by penguinpagey / July 2, 2010 10:14 PM PDT

My laptop has 320GB HDD. When I first got the laptop, there were 2 HDD folders, each of around equal capacity i.e. 150GB each. I used the c drive for my programs (obviously) and I decided to made a copy of my system on the other drive(/partition or whatever it is,) d, which automatically updated every week or so. I stopped the updates since it became full - this was about 2 months ago. I have left the (full) d drive alone since, and only today I have realised it no longer shows up in my computer, leaving the lone c drive, with only half of the memory my laptop should be capable of storing.

Would you suggest purchasing an external hard drive to backup my files?

Thanks for your continued help

Collapse -
One external would not be a backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: More details

A backup system is well discussed so I won't go there again. But here's the deal. Original and one copy means we have one lone backup. But given how easy it is to wipe both out where is the backup?

You would need one more copy of what you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
OK,,
by Papa Echo / July 3, 2010 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: More details

You backed up your system files - are these files from Windows\systen32\ or where ? And they were automatically updated- would that be Windows backup ?....but your ACER Recovery should still be at a hidden partition wth no drive letter assigned. As for the now missing D:\ drive [partition] try a search for a file(s) you know is in there. Let hidden files be visible first. At Disk manager,[contro panel>Admin Tools>computer management] how many disks and partitions are lited ? What is the size of C:\ ?

Collapse -
right...
by penguinpagey / July 3, 2010 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: OK,,

I opened up computer management, and as well as the c drive (144GB) I have 3 partitions, two of each OEM partitions (137.5GB and 3.54GB) and a recovery partition (13GB) (This at least shows me that I haven't lost over half the memory my laptop should store?) Do you know how I can access these files/find out where they are stored?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?