Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

recovery disk on hidden partition of hard drive

My computer is a Sony Vaio PCVRX755 512 memory 60G hard drive. It was running slow every so often (about two years ago) and a coworker looked at it and said that he could remove the partition in the hard drive and it should speed it up. Big mistake. Now the hard drive is failing ( making a grinding noise) and I found out that the recovery disk was on a hidden partition and when he removed the partition it erased the recovery disk. I went to a computer repair service (National Network) and Circuit City and both have told me that to transfer my information to a new hard drive i need a recovery disk from Sony or to buy an microsoft xp disk (i think the price was $200.00). I called Sony and was told that they used to sell the disk for $20.00 but have quit producing them for my computer. I was also looking at adding more memory and a bigger hard drive. That would cost me about $200.00 plus if I have to buy the xp disk another $200.00.I have seen new computers with 250G hard drive and 1G memory from $900.00 - $1,000.00 Should I buy a new computer or can my old one be repaired for a reasonable amount of money. I have a few games on it but nothing that can't be replaced.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recovery disk on hidden partition of hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recovery disk on hidden partition of hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This story is why you read admonishments to...

In reply to: recovery disk on hidden partition of hard drive

Have your restore CDs handy.

XP Home is likely what they provided. It is not 200 bucks. That is Sony's price.

I won't ask why you are doing more than what is required to bring the machine back to where it was. It seems fine that you would consider upgrades but then you are in for a bit more money as you suspected.

To transfer you data can be cheap to free. While you can always use your last backup as the way to move the files you can never lose, some will pull the drive and stick it in the new machine as a slave drive and get their latest files out.

I see new drives in the under 99 bucks everyday here.

Price? Nothing.

Bob

Collapse -
Who asked about Data Recovery?..................

In reply to: This story is why you read admonishments to...

Don't meen to but in, but maybe you should read the posts more carefully before you reply.
I have noted this & started a post @ Admin. jumping in without reading the entire thread, but this has gone unnoticed.
I realize the amount of posts you feel you must go thru - but you're not helping anyone with erroneous replies!
In fact, you are actually totally confusing the "Newbie"
I'm sure your boss would rather have you answer queries accuratly 100 % of the time, than answer 10 X more with ridiculous replies.
If you wish to suspend or revoke my privelages on this forum - So be it. I just call them like I see Them.

Collapse -
Thanks.

In reply to: Who asked about Data Recovery?..................

Thanks for the comment but I'll continue to add more to the responses as I see fit. I felt it's worth noting just in case they wanted some file.

I didn't read in your reply what you would do.

This is not the newbie forum.

Bob

Collapse -
Data Recovery

In his post, CC1471 said;

''I went to a computer repair service (National Network) and Circuit City and both have told me that to transfer my information to a new hard drive i need a recovery disk from Sony or to buy an microsoft xp disk''.

It seems to me he had been enquiring about recovering his data before the hard drive finally failed.

I have read both CC1471's post and Bob's reply a number of times now, and I see nothing erroneous about Bob's comments or advice.

If you feel I have mis-interpreted anything, please feel free to discuss this further via email through my profile.

Mark

Collapse -
Which part of the following...

quoted from the original post are you having trouble understanding?

I went to a computer repair service (National Network) and Circuit City and both have told me that to transfer my information to a new hard drive i need a recovery disk from Sony or to buy an microsoft xp disk (i think the price was $200.00).

Bob included the data recovery info which indicates that spending some of that money at Circuit City wouldn't be needed.

Before you "call them like I see Them" do at least read them.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Toss or Upgrade??.................

Excactly how old is your VIAO???
If it's a 2002 model, you woukd probably be better off replacing it.
If your machine was built after Spring 2004, then it's an SP2 model - probably worth putting in the price of an HD & some absolutely needed RAM!!
Check ypur CD's from Dell to see what they have included.

Luck - csrjohn

Collapse -
Check out newegg.com

You can find XP and a hard drive for much less that what Sony quotes. If your computer meets your needs, you can fix it for less than half the cost of a new machine.

Collapse -
thanks for the advice and reading my post completely

In reply to: Check out newegg.com

thanks crsjohn and glb613. I am looking at a 350GB hard drive for about $100 (after rebate) and installing two 512G RAM for about $35 each. As I stated in my post my computer did not come with recovery disk. It came with the recovery information installed on a hidden partition on the hard drive (which my coworker deleted when he removed the partition). I have been told that I can purchase microsoft XP Home OS for about $100. I will take your advice about replacing the HD and upgrading the RAM.

Collapse -
Problems with your sony

Are you still having problems with your computer? The posting is a bit old; in any event feel free on contacting me if you still need help.

Hector

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.