General discussion

Recovery disk

My son-in-law has a vintage 1998 Gateway PC that came with a recovery disk. The disk has the ability to selectively install the drivers for all the original hardware on the machine. This really worked great when I formatted the harddrive and upgraded to a later OS.

Does anyone know of a program that will create such a disk for ANY machine that will provide driver installation for all drivers on that machine? ie save all the current drivers and creat an installation macro for same.

TIA

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Recovery disk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recovery disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not made with a program.
- Collapse -
re

Thanks. That's a lot of info to digest so it's going to take me awhile.

- Collapse -
there are a few but $$$, drivers only.

reference www.driverguide.com
Burn to a CD, the windows folder and any other that appears to have drivers in it.
Install OS, point to windows\inf, sometimes "other" or cab files, and a few other places, to look for "updated drivers" with win hdwr wiz.
Note: some newer hardware still require the original installation copy which has XX.ex_ and other underlined files that change to normal after installation.

- Collapse -
re:

Thanks. I'll look into this.

CNET Forums

Forum Info