Computer Help forum

General discussion

recovery discs dont recover

by nofret / April 21, 2009 9:00 AM PDT

Hi all. Again! Now my hub pc went down. The primary hdd was fried, so I used the other 320g hdd as the primary and a WD 1tb green hdd. No matter what boot priority I assign, all I get is `BOOTMGR missing'. Then it goes back to the blue options screen.
Hp m8150n tv pc. q6600 cpu, geforce 8800gt gpu, 700w psu, 3gb ram. Vista ultimate 32 bit. Please help. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recovery discs dont recover
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recovery discs dont recover
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Clear As To Your Procedures But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 4:02 AM PDT

If you're wanting to make a new install of Vista on a new or use hard drive, it's better to start by unplugging all secondary drives till you get the operating system installed on the first one.. So, unplug all drives except for the primary drive, place the Recovery Disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer.. You can then follow the procedures to recover the OS or format and reinstall everything from scratch.. Is that what you did?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RECOVERY DISCS
by nofret / April 22, 2009 4:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I already tried with just one hdd hooked up. I tried reversing the sata ports. Nothing. One question though; Is there a status light on the motherboard? It`s the Basswood P58W-LA

Collapse -
Still No Clues...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: RECOVERY DISCS

"I already tried with just one hdd hooked up"
Tried what?

The "BOOTMGR missing" error you've mentioned shouldn't be seen until AFTER you've got the operating system installed.. When do you see it? Is the computer booting from the Recovery Disc when you see it? Something else?

Are you trying to install the Recovery Discs on the 320 GB drive? Is the drive a used drive or new?

As to a status light, I've not seen a motherboard without one..Although, are you sure the correct ID for that motherboard isn't P5BW-LA (the letter "B", not the number "8")? Here's a link to HP's motherboard specs for such:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00783637#N840

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
still no clues
by nofret / April 22, 2009 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Still No Clues...

The hdd I tried is the second hdd in the system. The other is a wd 1tb green. They are both empty. One other piece of info; this version supports only hard discs and dvd-rom drives only. I have went into the boot menu and tried every boot option there is. The result is the same. And yes it is a B not an 8 in the basswood mobo P5BW-LA.

Collapse -
still no clues
by nofret / April 22, 2009 6:26 AM PDT

Hi again Grif. I just tried to install XP just for the hell of it. No way. I could not even get xp to boot!

Collapse -
On correctly functioning hardware ...
by Kees Bakker / April 22, 2009 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: still no clues

yoy should be able to boot from a Vista DVD or a XP CD. Or a Linux Live CD for that matter.

If that doesn't work, there are two options:
1. The hardware isn't functioning correctly. I'd try another optcical drive to start with, then replace the motherboard.
2. You didn't set the BIOS setup to boot from the optical drive.

Kees

Collapse -
functioning software
by nofret / April 22, 2009 8:09 AM PDT

I have tried both optical drives in my pc. So far, everything is pointing to the mobo. It`s weird man; my hp blackbird is waiting for a new motherboard as well?

Collapse -
Still no clues
by nofret / April 22, 2009 12:22 PM PDT

Hey Grif. It`s the bleeping bleeped recovery discs. I used a vista premium disc from my blackbird and it worked fine. With the same settings, I install the recovery disc and it say no disc in drive. Alo I tried the recovery disc on my touchsmart. I could read whats on the disc, but it wont boot from it. I`m getting bleeping fed up with HP. They want another $40 for a new set of discs!

Collapse -
Bad Recovery Discs Happen
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2009 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Still no clues

Unfortunately, that's $40 you may need to spend if you can't access the Recovery Partition or other methods mentioned by Edward in his post below. Sometimes, if you ask to talk to a supervisior at HP, you might be able to get those recovery discs sent to you for free.. It's worth a try...

Yesterday, I had a customer bring me a similar problem.. I offered a few options to them and they chose to take a little extra time and spend the $40 instead of paying me to install and purchase a new operating system for them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
bad recovery discs
by nofret / April 23, 2009 7:43 AM PDT

Good day Grif. After all that and its the bleeping disc. The techs at future shop are as fed up with HP as I am! My blackbird has been away for allmost 2 months. First, HP says it will send a mobo. Then they want it in Colorado. I spoke with a rep from head office and he says arrogantly, `only voodoo techs are allowed to work on the blackbird' Its the way he said it. It does not take a rocket scientist to replace the mobo. In fact; It`s easier to change it than on my hp quad core pc.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2009 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: bad recovery discs

I've learned that if a maker wants to do something and if we interfere or disagree they may walk out on us.

My advice and you are free to disagree is to do exactly what HP wants to do to that machine at their choice of location, techs and such.

I know you think it's trivial but I've found it just works that way.
Bob

Collapse -
Have you tried EXACTLY as HP says ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 23, 2009 12:50 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?