Computer Help forum

General discussion

Recovery D Drive

by thequeenofcurdsandcream / November 7, 2010 5:47 PM PST

My laptop is configured to run weekly back ups to my D Drive. However it appears to want to create an additional back up to the one that already exists, rather than overwriting the existing. This causes it to return a report that the last back up failed (as there is not enough free space on the D drive for the new back up). How can I make sure that the back up overwrites the previous one?
I'm running Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovery D Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovery D Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 5:59 PM PST
In reply to: Recovery D Drive

It seems you have quite a few options:
1. Use another backup program (you didn't tell which one you use now)
2. Configure it the way you like in stead of the way it is configured now.
3. If it's a full backup: manually delete the old backup before you write the new one 4. 4. If it's an incremental backup: delete old files from it (the files that you deleted from the c: and don't want back); they could take a lot of space over the years.
5. Backup to another device.

Most laptops I know of, have only one hard disk, that is partitioned into 2 drives, the c: and the d: drive. In that case a backup like you describe could be useful when you have to reload the OS, but only assuming 3 critical things: (a) the reload of the OS doesn't touch the d-drive, (b) you know how to restore from the d-drive, (c) it's not an encrypted backup with the encryption key overwritten by the OS reload. And such a backup doesn't protect in the least against a physical failure of the hard drive, because that same drive contains both the original and the backup copy and both are lost.

Kees

Collapse -
And:
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 6:02 PM PST
In reply to: Recovery D Drive

I only now read the subject title of your post: "recovery d drive". That's not a drive to backup to. That's a drive with data that should keep pristine and unchanged, so you can get the laptop back to factory conditions using that partition. It should be hidden, you shoudn't see it, you shouldn't touch it and you certainly shouldn't use it as a backup device.

So that makes for option 6:
6. Stop doing it immediately and hope no harm is done yet.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?