Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RECOVERY CONSOLE

by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 6:25 AM PDT

cant someone use window xp home edition sp2 to recover or repair crashed system with window xp home edition sp1, and if possible how.
KINDLY HELP. The original cd is bad and i still have my product key.
Yours,
uncle T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RECOVERY CONSOLE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RECOVERY CONSOLE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have a flat tire and no spare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: RECOVERY CONSOLE

Fix the lost CD first. As to the recovery console there is nothing specific in your post that tells me that is what you should use.
Bob

Collapse -
re
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 10:18 AM PDT

the other aspect has been answered,
can window xp home edition sp2 be used to do recovery console or repair for window xp home edition sp1

kindly help
yours
uncle T

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: re

But the same issue. What good is the recovery console as we don't have a reason to get there?

Collapse -
Re
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

thank u profit,
I was using registry defragmentation on hp pavilion ze 5700 intel celeron and after the whole show i reboot and the system could not boot again instead it says window could not boot window is missing some files then i tried safe mode no way, last known good configuration no way, then i boot the xp home edition sp2 instead of xp sp1 ( that is lost)that was formally inside for me to do repair installation of the operting sytem so that i will not loose my documents.
it gets to installation of windows and complain of
"THE FILE 'ASMS' ON WINDOW XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 1 CD IS NEEDED. TYPE THE PATH WHERE THE FILE IS LOCATED AND THEN CLICK OK.

Meanwhile the xp home edtion sp2 cd is still there.

then can recovery console of the xp home edtion sp2 cd worked and if yes how

kindly help
yours
uncle T

Collapse -
Apparently ...
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re

you need the SP1 CD for what you want to do at the moment.

You should be able to use the SP2 CD for a clean install, provided you bought a valid license.

By the way, what is "registry defragmentation" and how did you do it?

Kees

Collapse -
re
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Apparently ...

o yes i can do reistallation using the xp xp2 but the documents will go and i dont want to loose my document.

u use softwares to do registry defragmentation and is important to all systems but not disc defragmentation

Collapse -
So we get that XP SP2 CD, go the recovery console. Next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 10:30 PM PDT

So you're there. What is to be done now?

That registry defragment could do some untold damage so there is no tool, command that I know of that will undo that damage. Again, my question is not if we can get to the console but what we'll do when we get there.

Again, you want to get to this but tell us why.
Bob

Collapse -
Saving files (the cheap way)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

File recovery is so expensive that I now use this CHEAP!!! method to give us the best chance of saving all files.

1. Get a new hard disk.
2. Replace the old drive with the new drive.
3. Install Windows.

Once done we add the old drive as slave or optionally put it into some USB HARD DISK ENCLOSURE and get our files out.

The lesson is simple here. There are no gains to registry defragmenting except to the pocket book of the company that sell such and to data recovery houses.

There is a less safe approach which is called the XP REPAIR INSTALL but I'll let you google that.

Notice we don't use the Recovery Console?
Bob

Collapse -
recovery console 1

Thank u,
pls could u explain how the recovery console can be used putting in mind that the former operating system on the crashed system is home edition sp1 of which the cd is lost and i only ve a genuine home edition sp2 now
yr responce will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Your post about this so far...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: recovery console 1

I see no use for the recovery console in fixing this OS so far. You are the one that kept asking how to get there so you must have some idea what good it would do for you. Please share this nugget so we can guess what made you thing the recovery console is the answer.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: problems
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 10:33 PM PDT

1. You won't lose what you already have on a backup. And you won't lose what you copy to another machine or a DVD after mounting the disc in an external harddisk enclosure.
2. A clean install of Windows XP has the option to install only Windows and Program Files folders and keep your existing files unharmed and undamaged.

What software did you use for registry defragmentation? And do you have any idea why it went wrong so tragically?

Kees

Collapse -
I'm afraid ...
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: RECOVERY CONSOLE

the recovery console won't be of much help, unless you know exactly what's wrong and how to remedy it.

See for yourself:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

More than likely you need a Windows XP CD. Maybe you can borrow one. A repair install might be enough, although I don't know if it needs a license code and - if so - will accept yours. But it's worth a try.

Kees

Collapse -
hi u
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm afraid ...

the other aspect has been answered,
can window xp home edition sp2 be used to do recovery console or repair for window xp home edition sp1

Collapse -
(NT) See Bob's answer above.
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 5:35 PM PDT
In reply to: hi u
Collapse -
Uncle T
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 8:22 PM PDT

I have been reading your posts and whilst I have no wish to criticize, I note there is a common theme within each question asked.

In each question you give very little information whatsoever about your system and setup, about what the problems are, and what let up to these problems.

Think of this analogy. If you have a motor car and you are having problems getting it to work, you telephone a car mechanic and say to him, "My car won't work, tell me how to fix it".

No mention of what make or model car, what the symptoms are, what you have tried so far to resolve the problem, and what, if anything has changed in since it last worked, (eg I ran out of petrol a day ago).

Without even basic information, the mechanic would not even try to diagnose the problem or offer any help.

At least we try to help, but we are continuously in the dark, and any suggestions we make are pure guesswork.

Help us to help you. Give us as much information as possible. Tell us what your system is and how it is set up. Explain in detail the problem and what led up to the problem. Tell us when the system last worked, and what has changed since then.

Remember this. Whilst you have your computer and the screen in front of you, we don't. We only have what you say and we are completely in the dark until you tell us more.

Mark

Collapse -
hi
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Uncle T

I was using registry defragmentation on hp pavilion ze 5700 intel celeron and after the whole show i reboot and the system could not boot again instead it says window could not boot window is missing some files then i tried safe mode no way, last known good configuration no way, then i boot the xp home edition sp2 instead of xp sp1 ( that is lost)that was formally inside for me to do repair installation of the operting sytem so that i will not loose my documents.
it gets to installation of windows and complain of
"THE FILE 'ASMS' ON WINDOW XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 1 CD IS NEEDED. TYPE THE PATH WHERE THE FILE IS LOCATED AND THEN CLICK OK.

Meanwhile the xp home edtion sp2 cd is still there.

then can recovery console of the xp home edtion sp2 cd worked and if yes how

kindly help
yours
uncle T

Collapse -
Duplicate post = duplicate answer.
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

Apparently you need the SP1 CD for whatever (not clear to me, nor to others here) you want to do at the moment. A repair install is an install. The recovery console is like a DOS-prompt, and quite something else.

You should be able to use the SP2 CD for a clean install, provided you bought a valid license.

By the way, what is "registry defragmentation" and how did you do it?

Kees

Collapse -
Strange...
by trublubush / July 1, 2008 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

I use SP1. I have the original OEM(DELL) XP install disk as well as the OTC XP SP1 generic install disk. I can assure you there is no file named "ASMS."
There IS however a folder which contains critical system architecture files named ASMS. This folder is located in the I386 folder on ALL SP1 installation disks and on certain OEM computers on the C:\ drive root directory. These particular manifests cannot simply be copied. SP1 must be restored from a disk. To my knowledge(I could be wrong...) Recovery Console can only copy files from C:/I386/ASMS\*.* to Windows' %root%, it will not install them.

Collapse -
Win xp recovery console
by jdnret / July 1, 2008 10:43 PM PDT

I needed to use recovery console to fix the master boot record (MBR). after several (apparent successful) attempts, the mbr was still defective - badMBR according to 'Partition Magic'. I had 2 standalone PC's that the mbr was destroyed after using 'System Mechanic'.
Twice used with tragic results - will not use 'system Mechanic' again. I need to find a way to fix mbr as winxp recovery console did not work. I would hate to have to use a 300gb stat hdd as a slave drive only - if it is still good for that.

Ron

Collapse -
hi
by Fasan Tope Israel / July 4, 2008 2:47 AM PDT

Thanks to aaalllllllllllllllllllll
Just keep it up.
Yoursuncle T

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!