Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Recovering XP

by robleo1 / September 7, 2010 2:16 AM PDT

I deleted SP1 from my Toshiba Satellite P-25(S-5039) that came w/XP Home & SP1 thinking it was no longer needed after upgrading and using XP-Pro for several years with little trouble.(BIG MISTAKE) I did get a (Win32 Trojan) which I could not remove yet it still operated fine.

Shortly after removing SP1 everything went to crap in short order, one blue screen after another indicating missing DLL files and so on I assume were lost upon deleting SP1. Tried to reinstall missing files with no luck.

I have files and photos I would like to recover via a normal mode as SAFE mode is limited and I cannot do what I want in SAFE, nor am I able to use my laptops CD/RW drive OTHER THAN ONLY to read my original Toshiba Recovery Disk which does nothing to restore my OS.

I bought a Rockfish HD reader thinking I could recover the data via my new HP w/Win7 but get a message indicating incompatible OS's. I.e Win7 not able to read XP data.

I was told I could convert my Toshiba HD from FAT32 to NTFS and then could read it via my HP but I'm not sure and have some questions on that.

Wondering if I should reinstall the HD back in the Toshiba, acquire Home/wSP1 then reinstall Pro or use another machine that has XP and try to read the HD via the Rockfish and copy files to that machine HD or to the stand alone HD I have.

I definitely do not want put any files on my new HP for fear of transferring any virus/Trojans or corrupted files.

If anyone has expert technical ability/understanding enough to grasp the problem I am having, I would greatly appreciate a real solution to my problem hopefully without losing files.

I have USB floppy drive, a HP USB CD/RW drive and USB Seagate (Free Agent)500Gb HD as well as the Rockfish HD reader for tools.

I do NOT have an original XP Home disk or floppy.

Thanks in advance for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovering XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovering XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Safe Mode.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovering XP

Safe Mode would be my best guess.

I'm confused. This Toshiba came with XP Home with SP1 already installed? Then you upgraded to XP Professional. What made you think SP1 was not required? The two XP's Home and Professional only differ in minor ways and SP1 was required for both.

Did you ever install SP2 and SP3? All of these Service Packs increased security by closing security holes in the OS.

Removing SP1 is never a good idea, either for XP Home or XP Pro.

Can you explain again why you cannot use this system in Safe Mode to pull off those photos and things? If you cannot get the CD/RW drive to work, what about the USB hard drive?

If you can get into Safe Mode how does the system perform whilst in there? It's possible that you could attempt a "System Restore" from within Safe Mode to return you to before you uninstalled SP1.

Converting FAT32 to NTFS couldn't be simpler. Read the article here; http://www.tweakxp.com/article36970.aspx

You need to do that asap, but you should wait and get your system back before you do that.

Mark

Collapse -
Recovering XP
by robleo1 / September 8, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode.

Mark

I did install SP3 but had many issues with it and believe I removed it and PC worked well again. As for SP1, don't ask. Bad move and a painful learning curve. It's been a many months now since I tried to work with the computer and memory is faded as to all the issues so I am going to reinstall the HDD, max out the RAM w/new sticks and fire up the machine again and see what all it will do and not do. I did work extensively w/ level 3 MS support to no avail. It also will not go on line to recover any updates or software while in SAFE. It will not boot to normal either and if I recall, it did not boot from disk.

The first thing I did was to attempt Syst.Restore but it did not work.

Again, I will have to retry everything after booting up to refresh the problems and my memory and I will reply back to you with more detail

Side note. There was a length of time that I did not use my CD/RW and as I recall, SP3 had something to do with the drive not working correctly. I went to various sites/forums for Toshiba owners and read of others having similar experience w/drives also after installing SP3.

Thanks again,
Rob

Collapse -
Since you say you ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 8, 2010 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovering XP
"... have files and photos I would like to recover via a normal mode as SAFE mode is limited " and are encountering so many problems, might I suggest that now would be a good time to get yourself a Linux Live CD (Ubuntu or Knoppix are both good) and use it to boot the computer, access the hard drive and copy the files you want to either a CD/DVD writer or to a USB flash drive or external hard drive?

It is really a pretty simple way to recover the files and if you download the ISO and burn the CD yourself it is completely free.
Collapse -
Yep, I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 8, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Since you say you ...

and that would be my own next step.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!