Computer Help forum

General discussion

RECOVERING Windows XP

by robleo1 / September 6, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

Almost a year ago I deleted SP1 from my Toshiba Satellite P-25(S-5039) that came w/XP Home & SP1. I later upgraded to XP-Pro and used the system for several years with little trouble but did get a (Win32 Trojan) which I could not remove yet it still operated fine.

I did not think I needed SP1 anymore and deleted it. BIG MISTAKE. After doing so everything went to crap in short order, one blue screen after another indicating missing DLL files and so on I can only assume were lost upon deleting SP1.

I have many files and photos I would like to recover via a normal mode. SAFE mode is limited and I cannot do what I want in SAFE, nor am I able to use my CD/RW drive OTHER THAN ONLY to read my original Toshiba Recovery Disk which does nothing to restore my OS.

I bought a Rockfish HDD reader thinking I could recover the data via my new HP w/ Win7 but states (OS is not compatible with XP Pro)

I was also told I could convert my Toshiba HD from FAT32 to NTFS and then could read it via my HP but I'm not sure and have some questions on that.

Also wondering if I should try to reinstall Home w/SP1 and then upgrade to XP-Pro on another machine and then try to read the HD via the Rockfish and copy files to that machine HD or to a stand alone HD.

I definitely do not want put any files on my new HP for fear of transferring any virus/Trojans or corrupted files. I'm hoping someone will be technically astute enough to grasp the problem I am having and offer a real solution.

I have USB floppy drive, a HP USB CD/RW drive and USB Seagate (Free Agent)500Gb HD as well as the Rockfish HD reader for tools.

I do NOT have an original XP Home disk or floppy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RECOVERING Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RECOVERING Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe I am missing something....
by Papa Echo / September 6, 2010 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: RECOVERING Windows XP

...but why are you nor able to use the CD RW to burn copies of your files to CDs or DVDs ? Or copy to an external HD via USB ?

Collapse -
Locking This Duplicate Thread..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: RECOVERING Windows XP
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.