Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Recovering MS Office XP documents?

by Ck87.JF / September 20, 2008 3:40 PM PDT

I was using my mom's computer earlier tonight, which had several open Word documents, unsaved (Document 1, etc). I accidentally locked myself out of her account, and couldn't remember the password (something I set ages ago, trying to get networking to work), so I tried ctrl + alt + del + del to log into administrator, but it told me I couldn't do that. Wonderful, I can't reset the password.

I decided to restart the computer, as I have her account set to auto-login, bypassing the login screen. When it gets back to her desktop, I open Word, and there is no "recovered documents" pane, which shows after Word or the computer crashes.

Are these documents lost forever, or is there any recovery info I can manage to use, to save them?

I've tried to get Mom into the habit of saving her stuff as she goes, but she has a very bad excuse of "I don't need to save them, because once I'm finished with them, I print them and close it without saving."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovering MS Office XP documents?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovering MS Office XP documents?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WinXP Home, by the way
by Ck87.JF / September 20, 2008 3:42 PM PDT

I'm not sure if this bit of information is necessarily important, but there ya go - Windows XP Home is the OS for my mom's computer.
If nothing else, the paths you may suggest can be tailored for that (rather than Vista's).

Collapse -
On a shared computer ...
by Kees Bakker / September 20, 2008 7:54 PM PDT

1. One should have different accounts for each user. And no autologon.
2. When leaving the PC alone for a while to go shopping (or whatever) one should bear in mind the possibility that somebody else logs in and accidentally shuts down. So always save your work.

Basic rules to follow. If you don't things like this happen. Well, it could be worse.

Kees

Collapse -
shared computer
by Ck87.JF / September 20, 2008 11:08 PM PDT

99% of the time, only she uses it, as I have my own desktop, and now laptop.

regardless, this isn't a question of good practices, this is simply a question of whether or not those documents can somehow be recovered.

I will talk to her, and suggest that because of things like this, she should really save her documents.

Collapse -
Is there any file left in that folder ...
by Kees Bakker / September 20, 2008 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: shared computer

with the right date/time?

If MS Word is set to autosave every 10 minutes (in Tools>Options) and she had the document open for more than 10 minutes there should be. But you're the only one who can look inside that folder. I can't.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!