General discussion

recovering info from old hard drive

I'm looking for help to swap my pictures from my old harddrive to my new pc. My old Gateway became inoperative. Both computers run XP Home. What I have done already is install the old old harddrive as a slave drive. I was able to access it and moved all of my music files. However when I tried to move my picture files it said I didn't have rights to it. I tried installing the old drive as the primary drive, but it's looking for the product key. I don't have that as I bought the old computer from gateway with XP pre-installed. It gives a 50 digit # to call in but microsoft does not recogmize it to give a product key. All I'm tring to do is sway my picture files to the new harddrive. Any help would be appreiciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: recovering info from old hard drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: recovering info from old hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You had already

managed to take off music files from the HD when it was installed as a slave, so the images may be an Accounting problem.

Re-install the old drive as a slave, and go to this link;

http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

Hope it helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Thanks for the help

Thanks!
I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know.

- Collapse -
Success, It worked!

Hey, Thanx a lot that link worked perfect. I was able to access my pic files. Which included wedding / honeymoon pics which were irreplacable. Now, do you know of any good backing up software?

- Collapse -
You don't need a back up program

Save or burn those photos on a DVD or CD. Open the CD/DVD burning software and either use create a data or photo CD/DVD.

- Collapse -
Well done!

I'm glad it worked for you.

I see Gail has given good advice about backing up, and there's nothing more I can add.
Mark

- Collapse -
Thanx!

Thanx again for all the great advice.

- Collapse -
After you get

the pictures off the old hard drive, save them on a CD or DVD. Having your pictures only save on a hard drive is not wise. As you found out, computers and hard drives fail. You need to save anything important away from the hard drive.

- Collapse -
NO DOUBT!!!!

NO DOUBT!!!!
I will always be sure to back-up from here on out. Hopefully I'll be able to get them back.

CNET Forums

Forum Info