Computer Help forum

Question

Recovering / Format the PC

by xquartzx / July 25, 2014 9:01 PM PDT

Hello everyone,
I own a Lenova B560 Windows 7 32 Bit laptop. I recognized that my system has been working much slower these days, both it is now 3 years old and the files and softwares I've downloaded. I want to format the disc or recover I'm not sure what is the right word for it. I just want to delete all the files, don't want any backup, just want to recover my PC to the first day I got it. Only simple windows programs, nothing other than that.

So for your info, I don't have a Windows installation disc, so I can't use that option. I also don't have Sytem image (I didn't create a system image the firs day I got my laptop it's my bad).
So in control pannel, it only gives me these 2 options, but I dont have neither of them.
At this point, how can I format my PC withotu having these two things?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovering / Format the PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovering / Format the PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most OEM installs have a way
by lacsr / July 25, 2014 9:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
No such a software
by xquartzx / July 25, 2014 9:58 PM PDT

I'm not sure that Thinkvantage Rescue and Recovery software is installed on my PC. I haven't ran across any sign of this software in my system.

Collapse -
If you actually looked
by lacsr / July 26, 2014 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No such a software

At the very beginning of the info there are two choices. The second choice indicates "A Lenovo System with a working Recovery Partition (Hit F11 on POST or The Thinkvantage Button).

Did you hit F11 on POST? This has to been done before the Windows load begins.

Collapse -
Check
by xquartzx / July 26, 2014 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: If you actually looked

I'll check if that works, but I fear that I'll format all my PC and won't be able to recover the system since I haven't created a system image in the beginning. So can you assure me that if I hit F11, format the PC and then recover everything without any difficulties?

Collapse -
Re: recovery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 26, 2014 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Check

In that link, jump to step 5, and read what happens. It should return the machine back to its original state, like when you bought it.

Kees

Collapse -
Nothing happens
by xquartzx / July 27, 2014 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: recovery

I shut down my computer, then restarted again and before the windows loading screen, I pressed F11 many times but nothing happened. There was a part saying that press F2 or F12 for boot something not sure. I tried both of them, but nothing useful was there. Options were Information, Configuration, Security, Boot, Exit. I checked and read all of them carefully. None of them had nothing to do with Rescue, Format or Recovery.

Collapse -
Time to do the old school recovery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing happens

Now this may be hard on some folk as it requires the restore media and good working hardware but when the on board recovery fails we are using restore media (and ordering such if we didn't have such) to bring the machine back.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
forget the format
by James Denison / July 27, 2014 5:21 AM PDT

grief down that road. Just clean it up some. There are plenty of websites telling how to find or recover space on the hard drive. Uninstall files and service packs that can be removed. Search on files larger than 50MB in size to see if any of those can be removed. Dumping of cache folders in several programs like Firefox, thunderbird, Explorer. Removal of programs no longer used, including some that are windows programs. I've seen people clear 3-5 GB's of room easily that way. If you do format, you better have a plan B to fall back on till you can get where you want to be.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!