Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

recovering files sd card to pc

I was cutting and pasting files from my sd card to my pc when i went in to check the files on my pc they were empty.
Is there any way to recover these files or am I s.o.l. ?

msturtlegirl has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recovering files sd card to pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recovering files sd card to pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by msturtlegirl

Collapse -
Re: empty

In reply to: recovering files sd card to pc

How do you mean "the files were empty"? Filled with all binary zero? Black image? Zero byte size? Deleted?

And just a tip. Do it this way:
1. Copy from sd card to pc.
2. Check they are OK.
3. Make your usual backup of these files (dropbox? external hard disk? picasa?)
4. Delete them from the sd card only if step 1, 2 and 3 are succesful.

Kees

Collapse -
SD data xfr

In reply to: Re: empty

Right on Kees, the way to go!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Collapse -
problems

In reply to: Re: empty

No when I open the file there I'd nothing in it as all blank. I can't find anything.

Collapse -
2 things.

In reply to: problems

1. Stop cutting and pasting. COPY and paste until you are sure your files made it.

2. Go get RECUVA and try that.

As it's far too dangerous for average folk to find titles I'm making a new year pledge to supply links that are safe at the time of my post. After a time they may be dangerous but given the new BUNDLES some download sites are slapping users with, I had to change my position.

Try http://www.piriform.com/recuva

DO NOT WRITE TO THAT SD CARD until you have got what you can off it.
Bob

Collapse -
Well said Bob!

In reply to: 2 things.

About the bundled software that comes with certain downloads. We should all take a stand here.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: 2 things.

I haven done anymore cutting and pasting sense this happened. I will I try it was all my music and pictures from my phone. I had someone helping me I hope they have done anything with the sd card they said they knew what they were going lol

Collapse -
Then at least it's not what you can't lose.

In reply to: thanks

At least it sounds as if it's just what was new on the phone. I thought this was something worse.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
They're probably somewhere on your C: drive

I've never seen cut & paste delete from the source until after files have been pasted to the destination, so I bet those files are somewhere on your C: drive. Start Windows Explorer, and do a search for the whole C: drive for one of those files, and see if you didn't just paste them somewhere other than where you meant to. If not there are UNDELETE programs you could try to use on that SD card.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
SD card

If the files are still on the SD card, you could just send them to file, Documents, Pictures...and do from there. As wpgwpg said, they are likely somewhere in the system, you probably just have to find the location. IMOP the easiest way is to first send(save) to file, then manipulate.

Collapse -
Answer
Try Undelete Plus

I used Undelete Plus when i faced this kind of problem and it really worked for me. give it a try

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.