Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Recovering files from password protected (damaged) XP Pro

About two weeks ago, one of my older machines, running XP Pro, went terribly bad. Instead of trying to fix it, I remove the some of the working hardware and trashed the system. Since I run backups, I figure that I did not need the hard drive so I put it away.
Of course, a few files were never backed up and now I need them.
I connected the hard drive as a slave and tried to access my user account (but I was not allowed). I tried connecting the h/d as a master but it shows that XP is damaged. I opted for a repair and got XP running again...as far as the user login screen.
Problem is that every time I log in it tells me that there is an issue with my copy and needs to be activated.
XP does not let me connect but instead asks me to call MS activation, which I do. The number they give me shows as invalid and the last time I talked to them they only tell me that, "it has to work, reboot and it will work." It doesn't.
If I don't activate, the system logs me off once again.
Other than taking ownership of the files via Safe Mode, is there any other thing I can try?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovering files from password protected (damaged) XP Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovering files from password protected (damaged) XP Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connect the HD as a slave....

In reply to: Recovering files from password protected (damaged) XP Pro

....but do not try to access your account. Instead, try to access your files by going directly to the folder where they are kept.

Collapse -
Connect the HD as a slave...

In reply to: Connect the HD as a slave....

That was the first thing I tried. Nothing under that user is allowed, instead I get the message that it is a protected folder.

Collapse -
Take OWNERSHIP. Read...

In reply to: Connect the HD as a slave...

Collapse -
Have you a machine

In reply to: Recovering files from password protected (damaged) XP Pro

With a 98 era OS? (just for this I have a P111-1ghz-Win98se box gathering dust)- I placed onto it the "NTFS98RO" (read-only) setup (search for it- follow the instructions-etc) and have used it multi times to retrieve files off XP-ntfs drives (Connected as slaves),just find them on the XP that won't boot, copy / paste to the 98se drive...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.