HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

recover files from a DVD

by iubjaved / July 27, 2013 5:38 PM PDT

Hi, I have a DVD which is almost unreadable and whenever i insert it to my drive and copy, it takes long enough and at halfway it just comes with an error. Is there any way i can recover or copy those dad from that DVD ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recover files from a DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recover files from a DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Are you sure its the DVD?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 27, 2013 5:47 PM PDT

Have you tried this DVD on a different machine? That would be my first test.

It may be your CD/DVD drive is faulty or some problem with the OS.

Mark

Collapse -
It's the DVD
by iubjaved / July 27, 2013 5:54 PM PDT

I have tried it on another pc but same error occurred. And nope i recently purchased this laptop so this DVD drive is new.

Collapse -
In that case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 27, 2013 6:03 PM PDT
In reply to: It's the DVD

what about Isobuster from http://www.isobuster.com/

"A powerful file and data recovery tool that can help you retrieve your priceless data and give you some peace of mind next time you make an important backup ".

I have not used it myself so I can't say how well it performs, but I have seen it mentioned in these forums before.

Mark

Collapse -
well
by iubjaved / July 27, 2013 6:30 PM PDT
In reply to: In that case

Then i have these two data recovery software stellar phoenix and r-studio . I tried to recover data via stellar and it seemed to take longer without progress so i had to cancel . I am just looking for a specific/right tool for this kind of problem. Appreciate your help though.

Collapse -
I suspect that
by lacsr / July 27, 2013 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: well

you did not actually try http://www.isobuster.com/ Just looked at the page. Isobuster is long hyped as the best for file recovery for DVD's that failed to read. Start it and leave it overnight to do its thing.

Collapse -
Partially recovered
by iubjaved / August 1, 2013 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I suspect that

It took more than a day to recover some files except for a 2gb file. I gave it couple hour but didnt showed any progress on the bar so i cancelled.

Collapse -
Takes time
by Willy / July 27, 2013 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: well

Quite often the recovery s/w needs plenty of time to process even with minor recovery. Give it an overnight treatment(or longer), start before bedtime and even on next morning monitor status. If it has proceeded beyond some stage its working just slow allow it to work. Since this is DVD disc, clean as best as possible then allow process to start. If there is actual surface damage, it may not be be able to recover at that location of data, but if it actually is processing, it will just take longer and finally finish with what it has. It may have error with the data but the file itself is recovered(depends). In other words you're getting something but not a total pristine file again. The status report should explain what it had done.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Some files recovered
by iubjaved / August 1, 2013 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Takes time

Yup its probably surface damage . Partially recovered the dvd. Thanks for your input

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.