Computer Newbies forum

Question

Recover E-Mails from Outlook

My mother's computer recently crashed. I'll admit that she's not great with computers, and that's probably why it crashed. My mother took her laptop to Best Buy to see if they could fix it. Unfortunately, she didn't wait for me. They told her that she needed a new computer, and they recovered her hard drive for her and we got all of her files back where they belong on her new laptop. However, NONE of the emails that should have come along with the hard drive were recovered. We discovered this far too late. My parents are going through a divorce and my mother was storing important financial emails in Outlook. I'm sure they were archived. I just can't find them. Apparently, the Personal Folder (.pst) was recovered, but nothing else was. We need those emails, otherwise my father wins in court and we get kicked out of our house. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recover E-Mails from Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recover E-Mails from Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Should be pretty simple.

In reply to: Recover E-Mails from Outlook

Install Outlook then double click on the PST to open it.

If you archived them, same procedure.
Bob

Collapse -
Already installed

In reply to: Should be pretty simple.

The guys at Best Buy had already installed Outlook, along with the rest of Microsoft Office. I went through and found that the .pst file had already been opened. Or it wasn't available to open anymore? I need to know if there's another way to get those emails. I did notice that the name of the document or program that you're using/reading at the top of the program box had (trial) at the end of it. My mother paid about $200 to have Office installed, so I'm hoping this is just a trial sort of thing before the actual program starts up seamlessly. Maybe my hopes are too high.

Collapse -
Re: trial

In reply to: Already installed

An Office trial is just a trial. Works for 60 days or so, and you've got to buy the program. If that $200 was explicitely meant for an Office license (and added to the amount for the man-hours and Windows and whatever more she paid for) she should go back and complain.

If that pst-file already had been opened, it should contain her mails. The other possibilities:
- her old pst-file is somewhere else on the hard disk
- her old pst-file got lost
Since we can't look at the contents of her disk, we don't know. But the guy who did the work at BestBuy should know, if you can't find out yourself.

Kees

Collapse -
Back to Best Buy

In reply to: Re: trial

We'll take it back to Best Buy with the receipt and complain. Thank you for your time and help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.