General discussion

recover deleted pictures

Hello, I have a Canon Power Shot A520 digital camera. I'd like to know if it's possible to recover deleted picture, even if other pictures were taken on the camera. Is there a certain time limit to recover deleted pictures? The memory card that I have is- Sandisk 512. If you can help me answer this question, I thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: recover deleted pictures
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: recover deleted pictures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yes

If you have not overwritten them since.

Once you determine you have deleted pictures, you must stop using that card.
If you don't you can overwrite those pictures, which destroys them.

There are hundreds of file recovery programs available.

Here is a link from a Google search of
memory card file recovery

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=memory+card+file+recovery&aq=0&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&psj=1&fp=b9249fd3d570d064

I think you will find that all of those programs will cost money.
Some will let you do a free search of you card, but you have to pay before it will let you recover the files.

I only know of one free program - RECUVA

- Collapse -
thanks

I'm going to try use the free picture receiving website. I think it's not right that you can't recover picture after they are overwritten. The reason that I don't think it's right, is for the fact that certain pictures could be used as evidence in a criminal case.

In my situation, the pictures don't have to do with a criminal case, though obviously technology isn't perfect.

- Collapse -
Overwritten files

It's not case of 'not right', but is purely a physical situation.

Consider this. Take a blank piece of paper and draw on it using a pencil. Now, erase the image using an eraser, then draw another image.

Where is that first image? Some traces may survive, but the more you erase images and draw other images, the more traces of the original are lost.

The same with media storage like hard drives, memory cards and the like. If you delete an image then use that card again, the risk is that the location where that data was stored will be overwritten. This is how storage works in computers and peripherals like Cameras.

There are no time limits. Just whether or not the data is overwritten by other images or not.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info