Computer Help forum

General discussion

recording video to CDR instead of DVD

by A. Freeman / May 9, 2005 2:25 PM PDT

Hey folks:

I have a pretty good CDR that I have been using for making music and data CD's using WinXPProSP2. I have not been using any special software; just the WinXP built-in roxio for data and WinMediaPlayer to do music. So far so good. Nothing special and it all works fine.

What I want to do is to write DVDplayer-able stuff to CDR's. I know that there is some way to do it. Is there a way to do it via a part of XP? Do I need other software to do this? What is the format that I am talking about called, specifically?

Thanks in advance.
Regards, -A. Freeman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recording video to CDR instead of DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recording video to CDR instead of DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not possible
by Mindstyle06 / January 25, 2008 12:56 PM PST

As far as my knowledge goes, it is not possible. *Possible* reasons are, type of data you are putting on the media and reading speed required for this type of data. On the top of that, how long video you think you can fit into one CD-R? Not more than 15 mins. of DVD quality video (mpeg2 video). If you would like to accept deteriorated video quality of mpeg1 format than you could make 1hr VCD. I wonder though why would you like to stick to CD-R only and not upgrade to DVD-R, taking into account the fact that they almost cost the same.

Collapse -
Video CD otherwise known as VCD
by sjulty / January 25, 2008 1:28 PM PST

Yes, with the proper software it IS possible to record video onto a CD-R, but why would you want to? The format is called "VCD" with an enhanced version called "SVCD" And just as the other post implies, this type of disc requires the video file to be recompressed and transcoded to MPEG 1. The VCD format became popular in the early days of recordable discs when the unit cost of a DVD blank was much higher than it is today. These days, if you buy a "cakebox" of 100 discs, the unit cost works out to be typically less than .30 each, so why bother? You can use Nero to create a VCD, if you're still curious.

Just my .02!

Collapse -
I wanted to add one other thing...
by sjulty / January 25, 2008 1:34 PM PST

Being that you don't already have a DVD burner, you should be able to find one to replace your existing CD burner for less than $40

Collapse -
Ashampoo Movie Shrink and burn 2
by melvynlaycock / January 25, 2008 6:44 PM PST

I use Ashampoo Movie Shrink and Burn 2 this allows you to burn DVD to CD making an SVCD (super video cd) but please note this will not copy commercial DVD with copy protection. For that you would need some form of DVD ripping software and that is a whole other can of worms!

Collapse -
recording to vcd
by jt_darts934 / January 25, 2008 11:21 PM PST

Hi, if you have a copy of nero 7, use the nero vision option to write VCD or SVCD discs.

Collapse -
recording video to CDR instead of DVD
by wradoyrad / January 25, 2008 11:45 PM PST

Hi,
I have a Mac and have done this quite a few times.
You are limited to short videos I recorded my Grandchildren when they played piano at a recital etc. I use Roxio Toast Titanium and get good results. Major problem is as I see is that many players cannot read or play back CDR video contents.

Wesley R. Radoycich

Collapse -
Just try NERO
by SamdarshXpress / January 26, 2008 6:51 AM PST

Nero 7 has an option to burn a mini dvd. That means you can make a dvd using a cd.
Your disc will be in dvd format.

Collapse -
miniDVD's probably won't work
by Louv68 / January 26, 2008 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: Just try NERO

Many DVD players will not be able to play miniDVD's though.
http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/minidvd

Your better off replacing your CD writer with a DVD writer. You can find them for $28 on up; sometimes even with free shipping. DVD blanks are just slightly more expensive than CD's.

Collapse -
options
by froasier / January 27, 2008 12:05 AM PST

if getting a DVD burner isn't an option, look at your DVD player to see what it supports (in the manual or google the model number). If it supports DivX/Xvid then use that. Otherwise SVCD is probably your best bet. Regardless, you will need new software as Windows does not support any video burning out of the box. You'd have to tell us what type of videos you are trying to burn. If you're backing up DVDs, try DVDx (freeware) at http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

P.S. if you have an Xbox 360 or PS3 this opens up easy options such as simply burning video files onto a data CD or even using a USB flash drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!