Samsung forum

Question

Recording on a Samsung Smart TV

Can anyone help a far-from-smart pensioner to understand exactly what I need to record TV programmes on a Samsung Smart TV, and how to set it up? I haven't even managed to understand the screen instructions on this. I understand that I need a hard drive and that I plug it into the USB socket, but I have a feeling that it won't be quite that easy? Any basic help will be really appreciated - or a link to something that explains all this in really simple terms!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recording on a Samsung Smart TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recording on a Samsung Smart TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Small issue here.

In reply to: Recording on a Samsung Smart TV

This feature hasn't been seen here in the USA so far. I hear some new models may have it but my advice is to head back to the store and have them demo it for you. You shop there for a reason and this is a good one.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Small issue here.

Thanks for answering Bob, but the item was bought mail-order (as with most major electrical goods in the UK, I guess) and that's why I was wondering whether another member might have had experience of recording which might help.

Collapse -
Re: recording

That's an obvious disadvantage of buying complex things like a Smart TV in a webshop. That's yoru own choice.

Anyway, it might very well be different on different models of "a Samsung TV". So why not tell the exact model. Even better: provide a link to the user manual of that TV. Still better: tell us on what page recording TV programs is mentioned in that manual and what you don't understand in those instructions.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
try e-manual

Hi,

You can try e-manual, just press the e-manual button on the tv go to TV Viewing.

I guess recording is supported when you are getting your channel though Ariel broadcasting. I am also trying however I am getting channel though setup box and HDMI cable and it's not working..

Let me know if it works for you.

Collapse -

In reply to: try e-manual

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The model number is UE32ES5500KXXU ver 02. I have since found out all I need through a Google search - even some videos on Youtube - and many others have had a similar question elsewhere. The most interesting thing to come out of it is that occasionally (and contrary to Samsung's own advice) you can record on to a USB 2.0 memory stick if the read/write speeds are good. With some it works, with others not. There's a good site which compares the actual performance of all makes and models. I haven't yet had any success, and feel that the recommended portable hard drive is probably the best option. It will save me using up most of my download allowance on catchup files! At least this bit of research has got me into showing photos and video on the big screen via a memory stick.

Collapse -
Recording on Flash Drive with Samsung Smart TV

Hi everyone, Further to my previous (unresolved) question about recording on a Samsung Smart TV ES5500, I have found an even easier answer which I would like to put on record (excuse the pun).

I have now successfully recorded a TV programme using a USB flash pen drive, which Samsung claim is not possible. I chose one with the fastest write speed at low cost, the Sandisk Cruzer 4GB (USB 2.0). It works perfectly, and even passed Samsung's speed test without comment. It was so easy, I just inserted it in the top USB slot, ignored the screen question asking what type of media it contained, turned on a TV programme and pressed the record button on the remote control. It asked whether I wanted to format the flash drive, I said yes, it asked me how long I wanted to record (this won't be necessary if you select it in advance via the programme guide after changing the energy-saving settings) and away it went.

Other users have also had success with Sony and Lexar models, and no doubt there are many others which may also work. I would suggest choosing one with at least an 18 Mbps write speed, and as high a read speed as you can get (which will always be lower). It must be USB 2.0. There is a website which compares such data, easily found through a Google search.

Collapse -
Sort of

In reply to: Recording on Flash Drive with Samsung Smart TV

Samsung does not say that flash drives will not work, but they are unstable, and may not work 100% of the time, when you have a show set to record. The space required to record a show is also large, around 7GB for an HD broadcast, with 2012 models (I am unsure about earlier years or the new 2013). The best choice recommended is an HDD for both space and stability. It must be USB 2.0/5400 RPM. It will also need to read 34 Mbps and write 52 Mbps.

Frank

Collapse -
I will report back as regards reliability

In reply to: Sort of

Thanks for putting the official record straight; I will use the flash drive regularly and report back on reliability in due course. So far I have purposely only recorded non-HD channels, and used the top (non-HD?) USB slot, so hopefully a lower transfer speed is acceptable on these, as well as a smaller file size. I can easily revert to an HDD if necessary; I wouldn't use my regular one as it will be reformatted and lose all my backups, but I do have a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adaptor kit and a decent spare HD - a clumsy lashup I know, but do you think that might work? Its claimed transfer rate is up to 480Mbps, but obviously there are other factors limiting this.

Collapse -
Recording with USB Memory Stick on Samsung Smart TV series 5

In reply to: I will report back as regards reliability

I promised to report back on my experiences after having given this matter a more thorough test. This is on a Series 5 TV model bought in the UK.

I have been using a Cruzer USB 2.0 memory stick and have found it to be consistently reliable on both instant-record and pre-set forward planning (when the TV can be put into standby, I was pleased to note).

As for memory space, the original 4GB stick holds 90 minutes of standard-definition recording, which is a bit limiting, so I began using a 16GB Cruzer instead. Oddly enough, the price was about the same.

When this stick was initially formatted by the TV, it was stated to be below the minimum necessary speeds and unsuitable for use. So I turned off the TV, removed the stick, switched it back on and replaced the stick. Then I carried out a speed test (under "Tools") and, from then on, it has been recording perfectly - but I haven't tried High Definition which would presumably need the higher speeds.

I agree with what has been said about an HDD being better in the long run, and obviously its higher storage capacity would be great. But all I want is something which will temporarily record the odd programme or movie with the minimum of fuss, and I find the memory stick just ideal for that.

Selecting a stick with fairly high read and write speeds is essential, and I found this website invaluable as it lists actual test data by many different users: www.usbspeed.nirsoft.net/
Also note that USB 3.0 is definitely not compatible - some dealers substitute a 3.0 upgrade at no extra cost, thinking they are giving you a better deal!

Collapse -
Now I understand!

In reply to: Sort of

This makes sense as to why the schedule recorder option does not work. I am using a 8GB USB stick which records on demand perfectly but will not schedule record. The tv does everything it is supposed to do, turn itself on when it is off at the programmed time etc but does not record.

Is there a brand and size of HD you would recommend to establish a good schedule recording system?

Thanks Frank!

Collapse -
1 TB Max

In reply to: Now I understand!

You should be good with anything under 1 TB, USB powered, under 5 volts. There is a correct USB port to use and it should be labeled, and sited in your manual. I was lucky enough to find a couple of older 365 GB, Samsung S2 HDD, portable USB powered drives. They hold about 40+ hours. Now I'm not looking to record and retain for life. These drives may require re-formating in the future, and as such I only record what I would other wise miss. I do have a program from Nov last year to see how long it lasts untill it becomes corrupted.

Best of luck

Frank

Collapse -
where

In reply to: 1 TB Max

where did u find your samsung S2 HDD portable USB i'm looking for one Thank u

Collapse -
Internet

In reply to: where

Do a Google search for local computer shops, or those on-line shop you trust. This HDD hasn't been made in some time, but is very reliable, and is almost guaranteed to work with the Samsung TV's as a PVR recording device. It meets all the required specs, and was even used in Samsung promo material as the HDD to use.

Best of luck in the search.

Frank

Collapse -
Re: Now I understand

In reply to: Now I understand!

Samsung's official stance on why Memory Sticks aren't recommended is because they won't reliably record on schedule. I have to say that I don't have any problem with a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 2.0 16GB, and I can reliably record whole series at a time if necessary. The only problem I do have - and I imagine this will also apply to a HD - is that the schedule is lost if the TV is subjected to a power cut.

Collapse -
ATD

In reply to: Re: Now I understand

Can't say I agree with that. The schedule is held by the TV, and not the attached storage device. My TV has been unplugged, with no loss of programming schedule. I can uncouple the HDD, and attach another, and the TV could care less, so long as it has already been formated for use.

Sticks are unstabe and inconsistance in how they write the data, which is why, you may have it stop recording, or cancel timeshift. This is why Samsung says to use a 1 TB, or under HDD for this purpose.

Frank

Collapse -
Re: Now I understand

In reply to: ATD

Thanks for that information, Frank - I was assuming the schedule was lost by the TV during the power cut. It certainly points to the relative unreliability of the memory stick, as you have always maintained! However I must say that was the only time it didn't work as it should, and for occasional use I'm happy to continue with it - with reservations!

Alec

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!