Samsung forum

General discussion

Recording from HDTV to DVD, etc.

by muddlerminnow / February 1, 2009 12:53 PM PST

I have a HL56a650 Samsung HDTV and a number of components connected through a Pioneer Receiver. My outside Direct Satellite TV cable is connected to the Satellite converter and an HDMI cable is connected from the converter to the HDMI input in the TV. This model TV has plenty of inputs including three HDMI and an optical audio output but no video output. My question is, there being no video output on the TV, where can I locate an external DVD recorder so that I may record live broadcasts?
I was of the impression that the Satellite converter decodes and encrypts signals but that if a DVD recorder were installed downstream from the converter, it would not work. Would appreciate any input on this. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recording from HDTV to DVD, etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recording from HDTV to DVD, etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDTV to DVD....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 5, 2009 9:19 AM PST

muddlerminnow,

My initial understanding is that HDCP (copyright protection) exists to restrict this from happening. Does the external DVD recorder (assuming it's a CE component and not a computer, correct?) have an HDMI-IN that would suggest that it would accept the recording of a broadcast?

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDTV to DVD
by muddlerminnow / February 5, 2009 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: HDTV to DVD....

Adding to my earlier post tonight, I just came across this post in another forum. The message that I am getting is that it is not illegal to record most aired broadcasts. They have just made it more difficult to do so and there appears to be ways around it. I know that the intent is to prevent some from recording programs and redistributing them but the average person simply wants to preserve and play again some program, not necessarily a movie, which would not be available again.

Here is the post:

"My father has solved this problem by buying a Digital Converter Box with the $40 coupon. He uses a splitter (available from Radio Shack, e.g., or hardware stores) to feed the antenna signal into the converter box as well as the TV. The converter box feeds the converted analog signal into his DVD recorder, or VCR, depending upon which he wants to record on. The DVD recordings are very high quality. He either uses the timer in the recorder (which is set to the AV input the converter box is plugged in to) to schedule a recording, or he just starts it up when he sees the beginning of the program on the TV. Hope this helps."

This sounds like cable tv so with Direct TV, would it work if the converter box mentioned was connected to the output of the Direct TV box and connected to the recorder DVD-IN and, via the splitter, the other cable connected to the HDTV? I see a cabling problem in not being able to use an HDMI cable from the splitter to the TV unless such a splitter with HDMI is available. Just fishing around before giving up. Thanks again for the input.

Collapse -
HDTV to DVD
by muddlerminnow / February 5, 2009 10:09 AM PST

Thanks for the reply.
I would guess that(CE) answers why my HDTV has no HDMI-OUT. In fact there are no video outputs. This is confusing to me as my user manual
indicates that programs may be recoded from the TV to a SAMSUNG recorder. How is this done if there are no video outputs on the TV?
My DVD recorder(CE)does not have an HDMI-IN. This is not a big thing with me I just thought that if it were possible to record, even non HD programs, it would be a plus.

Collapse -
Recordable DVD
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 5, 2009 3:57 PM PST
In reply to: HDTV to DVD

To record a program to a DVD, the signal must be an analog signal. Analog doesn't have the same HDCP that digital signals have, so this would include either component or compositive or in some cases, Co-Ax. I'm not sure about S-Video.

On my SD television, I had a DVD-recorder that I ran like this:

WALL > CoAx to Cable Box > co-ax to Recorder > co-Ax to TV.

No splitting was necessary, tho I did have a heck of a time controlling the picture between incoming channels, record mode (monitor); I'm sure you can imagine the intricate setup (with various remotes) I had just to record a program.

So I know it can be done, but the recorder will need a QAM tuner if you don't have a cable box, and even if you record HD content, the DVD will only record it in SD - unless there's a product out there that I'm not aware will record HD on a DVD.... (there's always one if I don't say it, ya know?) then you're still with SD playback on an HDTV.

One last option is to run component cables instead of coax from the cable box to the recorder, and then from the recorder to the TV.

At that point, most people might suggest a PVR. Grin

I hope that helps a little.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDTV to DVD
by muddlerminnow / February 6, 2009 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Recordable DVD

This gives me some options. I'll do some experimenting but I won't want to compromise the great reception that I'm getting with the HDMI connection between the Direct TV box and the TV so if I get an acceptable hook up I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Neil

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!