Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

recording/downloading live streams and youtube videos

by Yalie2010 / July 16, 2010 2:33 PM PDT

I'm looking for software to download live streaming video, such as on ustream, livestream, justin.tv, etc., and I'm having a really difficult time finding one that:

1.) works
2.) is free (perhaps that's my probelm?)
3.) and also downloads regular videos like those on Youtube.

I tried Orbit Downloader, but it doesn't work with the new Firefox (3.6).

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recording/downloading live streams and youtube videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recording/downloading live streams and youtube videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 10:45 PM PDT

We know that YouTube videos are copyrighted by YouTube, and their TOS clearly states that their videos cannot be copied without permission.

We couldn't help with that as it contravenes Forum Policy. If those other sites you mention have similar copyright restrictions you will fall onto the same Forum Policy violations.

Mark

Collapse -
Please see previous message.
by Yalie2010 / July 16, 2010 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a note.

Mark - thanks for the message. Two things:

1.) The last time I checked, the software program "YOUTUBE DOWNLOADER" is one of the most downloaded programs on your sister site, Download.com. Perhaps no one has brought this to your attention, in which case, you're welcome.

2.) I said videos LIKE those on Youtube. I wouldn't dare violate the copyright restrictions and terms of service of that site or ANY site. I was merely using those names as popular examples.

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 11:38 PM PDT

Such downloaders are in a "arms race" with the live stream providers. As a downloader begins to work the streaming sites upgrade their download protection schemes.

In short you are asking for help in an arms race and all I can offer is that what works today may not tomorrow.
Bob

Collapse -
Audio & video by ?
by ishanseo / July 25, 2010 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree.

YouTube has created an advanced set of copyright policies and content management tools to give rights holders control of their content. YouTube provides content management solutions for rights holders of all sizes across the world, and provides tools to cater to the specific needs of various rights owners.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.