HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

recording cassettes (audio) to cd or harddrive.

by gord55 / March 19, 2007 6:41 AM PDT

The instructions I am receiving describes connecting the audio out from my cassette player to the line-in jack on my laptop. However, I do not have a line-in jack on my laptop. Do I use the mic-in jack or am I out o luck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recording cassettes (audio) to cd or harddrive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recording cassettes (audio) to cd or harddrive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dose the Cassette player have an output level control???
by jcrobso / March 19, 2007 6:57 AM PDT

If it dose then you can turn it way down and use the mic input.
If not Radio Shack has level reducing cable RCA plugs on end and 3.5mm plug on the other, it will reduce a line level down to a mic level. John

Collapse -
Mic-in jack
by Dan Filice / March 19, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

Using the Mic-In jack works on my Mac, so it should work on a PC. On my Mac, I need to go into System Preferences and choose a path as to how audio gets into the computer and is then recognized by software. Not sure if a PC is the same, or if it's just a matter of software settings. Give it a try. The worst thing you do is spend $3.99 on a Stereo RCA-to-mini-plug cable.

Collapse -
What kind of cassette?
by ahtoi / March 19, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

The trouble with mic. input is that it is usually mono and not stereo; so if you are recording music, it would be a bummer.

Collapse -
Mic Input
by Dan Filice / March 20, 2007 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: What kind of cassette?

Yes, the Mic input is mono. Lately, when I need to import audio from an older piece of equipment, I've been using my Canopus Analog-to-Digital converter box. I plug the stereo RCA into it from tape deck or turntable, then Canopus converts the signal into a digital signal. I import via Firewire. It's kind of a long way around, but the signal is fed into my edit program, then my edit program exports directly as an audio file without the need to bother with video. This audio file goes into an audio program where I can EQ, fade, etc. to create CDs.

Collapse -
MIC INPUT
by gord55 / March 21, 2007 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Mic Input

Is there no way of recording in stereo without spending a lot of money on a converter.

Collapse -
MIC Input
by Dan Filice / March 23, 2007 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: MIC INPUT

My father-in-law uses a PC, and he equipped it with an audio/video card that has all sorts of plugs on it, which allows input of audio or video separately. I use a Mac for audio and video, so I can't speak with any degree of knowledge on the PC side, but I believe he is able to plug any device with RCA-type plugs into his PC, and with the proper software, he can create music files. This is cheaper than buying an analog-to-video converter. I'm not sure what software he has on his PC. I'm sure you can get either freeware or inexpensive software to create audio files. Try the Roxio website. They have some great programs for either video or audio for both PCs and Macs. I'm not sure how much the card cost for his PC. For me, the decision was to spend $200 on the converter because I use it for importing video from VHS tapes.

Collapse -
What kind of cassette
by gord55 / March 21, 2007 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: What kind of cassette?

These are stereo music audio cassettes. Is there no way to go analog- to- digital in stereo.

Collapse -
THIS SHOULD BE VERY EASY WITH THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT...........
by Riverledge / March 23, 2007 10:33 AM PDT

FIRST A STEREO CASSETTE DECK, A DECENT CD RECORDER and a good A/V receiver. This can be done without the A/V/R actually.
I don't know why everybody wants to compromise music (compression) with computers. I just use my stereo set-up for perfect CD-copies.

A/V/ Reciecer: SONY STR-DA-777ES
Cassette Deck: SONY TC-KE500S, and my favorite toy, the
CD Recorder : SONY RCD-W500C.

good recording,

river.

Collapse -
cd recorder
by gord55 / March 25, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

unfortunately the only cd recorder is the one on my computer. I guess the best way to do this is to buy or borrow a cd player/recorder because I have a lot of older music on cassettes.

Collapse -
THE SONY RCD-W500c IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR LESS THAN $300.
by Riverledge / March 25, 2007 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: cd recorder

NICE MACHINE.

river032507.

Collapse -
CD Recorders
by Dan Filice / March 26, 2007 2:53 AM PDT

River,

I totally forgot that I have a Yamaha CD recorder, which is probably similar to your Sony. I love it. I haven't used it much since using iTunes and the computer to make CDs, but it's brilliant in that I can press a button and add chapters where I want (good for music that's just one long song), I can fade, add titling, etc. My Yamaha has a dual tray (one for source and one for record). The only thing I don't like about the Yamaha is that it requires the use of "Audio" CDs for recording instead of the generic blank CDs that we use in the computer.

Collapse -
THE YAMAHA IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE 2 SONYS W50c/W500c.......
by Riverledge / March 26, 2007 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: CD Recorders

THE SONY'S PLAY SA-CDs as well, I doubt they record it. You're right about the discs required, however, they must be labelled "CD-MUSIC" or "CD-AUDIO". Not compatible with everyday "computer CD blanks(CD-R's or CD-RW's)."

I feel like I've been neglecting my CD-R. Mine has 5 disc changer plus the single recording unit.

riverledge.

Collapse -
My old Yamaha
by Dan Filice / March 27, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

Here's an old link showing my discontinued Yamaha: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/771.

It doesn't play SA-CDs, but my OPPO DVD player will as well as play DVD-Audio discs. My Yamaha isn't a multi-CD changer. I opted to use iTunes in my Mac to wirelessly send music to my receiver. This allows my to easily make custom playlists. I think if I played my entire iTunes music library, it would play for 5 days without stopping.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.