Desktops forum

General discussion

Recording Audio Through Composite Jacks on HP Vista

by Eddbot / May 26, 2008 10:46 AM PDT

ok, so i have a HP with vista home premium, and i'm trying to record a bunch of LP's to digital. The desktop has 2 L/R composite audio jacks(one in the front, one in the back). I have searched everywhere trying to find out how to record through the composite jacks, but everything says to get an adapter and record through the 3.5mm jack. But i don't really want to buy an adapter when there are already 2 composite jacks on the computer. I don't know why they're on the computer if they don't have a purpose. Does anyone know how to access these ports for recording?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recording Audio Through Composite Jacks on HP Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recording Audio Through Composite Jacks on HP Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
convert old lp to mp3
by pc_tech2008 / May 26, 2008 2:02 PM PDT

all you need is 1 cable.

cable...
if you are using a stereo receiver...

you will need a 'Y' cable the 'v' part is 2 rca male and

the other end is a cable looking like your stereo headphone for your portable cd player. note that there are 2 line on the lower part of this plug the 2 lines means stereo, 1 line means mono.
you want stereo.

Check your record player and see what the output or audio out jack looks like.

how to plug in the cable...
on the stereo receiver or record player plug (usually it is a rca jack) the cable into audio out Left and Right of the player. left stands for left speaker , right stands for right speaker.

the other end usually a 1 pin (looks like your portable stereo headphone jack) stereo male cable note the 2 line on the tip of the pin the 2 line stands for stereo (please correct me if I am wrong).

next you will need software that can help you do the sound transfer.

this will be Real Time so patience is a must.

1st do a little test , test a few seconds of recording then play it back if all ok then do the whole song.

or

Unless you just bought a turn table with usb plug. This is a new technology that can be used to do lp conversion.

hope this helps

Collapse -
already got that down
by Eddbot / May 26, 2008 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: convert old lp to mp3

i know all about the Y-connector and where to plug it in, that's what i read everywhere i look. On the tower, there are composite audio input jacks, i don't want to use the line in, and for some reason i can't figure out how to utilize them to record my stuff. And i already have recording software...

Collapse -
You may be doing it wrong.
by fbbbb / May 26, 2008 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: already got that down

There are various different flavours of record players, but most will need a phono box. There are some budget modern decks which have this built in to output a Line Out suitable for jacking into a computer (amp, etc) but the vast majority of record decks require pre-amplification and equalisation. And we aren't talking about 'to get it to work best' or 'for best sound' - we are talking about just getting the connection to work in the first place.

There are phono boxes and there are phono boxes, but the cheapest way is to use your integrated amplifier, i.e. most likely the amp you had the record player plugged into originally. Using the Tape Out of the integrated amp connected to the PC, you can record the preamplified signal of the record deck.

If you want to get fancier / easier, this one for example has a USB output, so you can plug it directly into a USB socket of the PC. This saves you having to mess around with volumes too much, and will offer the best conversion since the signal is already digital when it enters your computer.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/phonobox_2_usb.htm

Collapse -
Oh - one other thing?
by fbbbb / May 26, 2008 5:16 PM PDT
In reply to: already got that down

You're getting various terms mixed up so it's hard to tell, but if the 'composite jacks' you're talking about are yellow then they're for the teevee. Not audio, video.

Collapse -
by Eddbot / May 28, 2008 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh - one other thing?

the problem is with the computer, not the record player, the jacks are red and white, right and left, and i have an amplifier, i just can't figure out how to access those jacks in vista

Collapse -
Um...
by fbbbb / May 28, 2008 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

... your recording software should be able to choose between inputs.

Or go into Control Panel, type Sounds into the search field, click on the Sounds panel when it appears, go into the Recording tab and chooose the device. There is a signal bar on the right hand side of each device, and if you select it and test-playback your record player, you should be able to see which is which.

Collapse -
TV Tuner Jacks
by coyfish151 / November 6, 2008 7:55 AM PST

I'm not sure if you've found the answer to this since it's an older post, however the reason you haven't been able to locate these jacks in your recording software or anything is because they are part of your TV Tuner, not the sound board. So I really doubt you would be able to record any kind of audio from them without a coupled video signal. Hope that helped! Good Luck!

I have experienced a similar problem with these jacks, however I am trying to hook my PS3 up to my pc using the composite and av jacks that you are talking about on the front. The problem is that vista has no bundled software to tackle such a task, and therefor you are forced into using 3rd party software(unstable) that hasn't been tested with all hardware. This basically mean Vista developers + HP hardware = Dumb.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?