Storage forum

General discussion

Recordable Media?

Hey, I just hooked up a CD burner in my computer, and I've been burning some CD-RW's... Well I can only rewrite the things a few times before they stop working completely! I've been using Imation CD-RW's since I got my burner, and I guess my problem is cheap media. I'm wondering if anyone would care to point me toward brands that have been reliable for heavy rewriting...you know, just so I don't have to buy a spindle from every company and compare...thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recordable Media?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recordable Media?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Recordable Media?

In reply to: Recordable Media?

You didn't note what method you used. CDRW media is rated for about 1000 or a bit more erase cycles.

Light discussion at http://hardware.mcse.ms/message38134-3.html

As such, these are great for once a day usage and you'll get about 3 years of use. Some try to use it like a disk drive and they will suffer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Recordable Media?

In reply to: Re: Recordable Media?

Yeah, I know the media's rated for 1000 rewrites, which is why I'm really surprised at what I'm getting. It's an old burner; I've had it for a long time...I just took it out of one computer and put it in my personal computer so I tend to use it more now. I'm no novice at burning btw Wink just never had any need to heavily rewrite CD's before...I'm only rewriting them once a week or so, but they seem to wear out very very quickly. Maybe it's the old burner (a Samsung 8x8x32) or the software (an old version of EasyCD Creator...version 4, I think) and not the media after all. It's just really annoying to replace discs that have only been rewritten a dozen times!

As for method...well I'm just burning a data CD...I haven't researched EasyCD Creator at all so I dunno if it might be doing something weird to wear out the CD. Hmm so basically that gives nothing to go on...maybe I'll just finally break down and buy a new computer with a burner instead of stringing together random old parts from junked computers...lol thanks for the help anyway!

Collapse -
Re: Recordable Media? OLD CDRW = Trouble.

In reply to: Re: Recordable Media?

The laser dims and could have someone write a post like yours. There is no issue with CDRW media as you suspect.

With each erasure the media may be hard for the old drive to read and you may think you have a media issue. I'd try a new drive or at least a CD Lens cleaner. If the cleaner did nothing, then a new drive.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.