HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Recommended Wireless Company?

by saruyama / November 8, 2004 4:37 AM PST

I recently purchased and very quickly returned a Netgear MR814 wireless router and two MA111 USB network adapters because of serious problems. To make a long story short, Netgear tech help was absolutely non-existant: I got disconnected every time I made a telephone call (after spending considerable time navigating their menu) and never got responses through e-mail tech support. I am not a computer novice but networking is a complicated issue, yet since wireless networks are becoming as essential as my microwave or cell phone I am not ready to give up. Is there a company--Linksys, Belkin, or whoever--that actually holds up the "24x7" tech support listed on the box?--I mean, I am willing to pay more to ensure that tech support exists so I can keep a simple home network (two PCs and a DSL connection) running. I would very much appreciate any comments.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommended Wireless Company?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommended Wireless Company?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Recommended Wireless Company?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 5:34 AM PST

None. While I have great success with such hardware, none seem to work out of the box for me. I always have to update FIRMWARE and Drivers.

This can be a strain on consumers and they may need to have such done for them.

Bob

Collapse -
by saruyama / November 8, 2004 9:10 AM PST

Thank you for the reply. One of computers is not currently hooked up to the Net (hence the need for a network), so I don't know how I would be able to update it. I find the whole thing frustrating.

Collapse -
by Michael Geist / November 8, 2004 10:29 AM PST

Though you may be having problems with certain makers of wireless equipment, I have found that the industry in general has made home wireless networking rather idiot-proof. This is not to say that anyone who cannot get a wireless network up and running is an idiot, but points more to inexperience or a lack of reading the manual or quick start guide.

I believe that a novice would benefit most by using the equipment from one manufacturer. This way the tech supporter can not blame the other guys device as causing the problem.

Linksys and D-Link have always been good to me and available when support was needed.

Collapse -
That is one piece you can take to the bank.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 11:15 AM PST

Keeping all the parts from Dlink or Linksys solves some headaches, but the last two Dlink Wifi-G routers didn't connect with Dlink clients until the router had its firmware updated. One wishes that consumer devices didn't need such fixing before they could be used.

Bob

Collapse -
by saruyama / November 8, 2004 3:09 PM PST

Idiot-proof? I DID use equipment from the same manufacturer and DID follow the included instructions to the letter and still had the device setting my computer into an unending series of re-boots. So then I must be an idiot, right? Networking is NOT plug and play and I cannot believe you insinuate that it is. Your glibness is not appreciated.

Collapse -
Glib.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 9:49 PM PST

To add insult to the glib, some hardware just doesn't work on some machines. To add more insult, SPYWARE is causing people to shell out hundreds of dollars at repair shops.

An example is some IBM laptops and a certain make of WiFi chipset. I won't look it up, but that one caused some hair pulling since the cards work in other (but not all) machines.

You didn't do anything wrong except to take offense at genuine help from nice people. We are here with you on this subject and wish the vendors were doing a better job.

Take your offense to the maker and supplier of what didn't work for you.

Bob

Collapse -
I had a feeling....
by Michael Geist / November 9, 2004 12:16 AM PST

you might take this personally. No insult intended but in most cases I have been involved with, a few software adjustments were all that was needed to bring a network up to speed.

Yes, firmware updates can solve out-of-box difficulties and in my case tech support has always solved the problem or discovered a defective peice of hardware.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.