Question

Recommended thermal paste for 550ti?

Dec 8, 2017 7:07PM PST

Hey there!
Currently running an ASUS 550ti that I purchased for $34 from China off eBay on a DQ67SW Intel board and a 3.1 Ghz i5, 8GB 1333mhz DDR3 that I actually traded for a few years back, as well as a donated 800W power supply. The entire setup is from used parts, and I know the thermal paste is dry and brittle by this point, namely because I've already checked under the heatsinks.
Thing is, this is my first time actually using a dedicated graphic card of this caliber, and I know the GPU runs a bit hotter than just your typical CPU. My i5 is currently idling at around 90F-100F, and GPU at about 105F. However, as soon as I launch a game, even as simple as Minecraft, it sounds like a jet engine as the GPU hits about 180F and my CPU about 130F.
What recommendations do you guys have for a decent, easy-to-use thermal paste that will be able to handle the heat? I don't mind curing, but knowing me, I'd need something that isn't electrically conductive.
I'm also looking into a better cooling setup overall, but likely won't get into that for a few months yet.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Recommended thermal paste for 550ti?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recommended thermal paste for 550ti?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
There are some that want to deep dive on thermal paste.
Dec 8, 2017 7:15PM PST
- Collapse -
A bit of info overload
Dec 8, 2017 10:49PM PST

Took several pages to get where I wanted to on the first link, that second link states that the ARCTIC Compound is NOT recommended for GPUs...
Seems after quite a bit of research, I'll likely go for the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, as I've seen a few posts that declare it good for GPUs, and it is a normal, non-electrically-conductive paste. Plus, it is the best one in the list you posted (once you get to page 11). It may have a slightly higher idle temp, but shining under load is what I'm aiming for.

- Collapse -
That's what I alluded to.
Dec 9, 2017 7:59AM PST

There are some that want to deep dive and I've used the above on GPU and CPUs. Remember this is just Physics so if you find that Grizzly is better for the GPU then it will be better for the CPU too.

CNET Forums

Forum Info