General discussion

Recommended External Drive for Multiple PC System Back-ups

I have 3 computers with Windows operating systems (2 desktop and 1 laptop) that I would like to back up completely (programs and data). My goal is to have a full system restore available for each computer (500GB should be plenty of storage). I would then like to back up the data on a regular basis going forward. My computers are not networked to each other, so the data back ups will be done manually.

My research shows that some external hard drives have software which allows you to back up and entire pc and some do not. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced external hard drive that will accomplish my goal. I am not a "techie" and just need a good, basic piece of equipment.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Recommended External Drive for Multiple PC System Back-ups
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recommended External Drive for Multiple PC System Back-ups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
external-hard-drives
- Collapse -
Ext. Hard Drive Ability to Back-up Programs (not just data)

Brechan,
Thank you for your input and the links. And yes, I would consider that Seagate to be reasonably priced. One thing I seem to have difficulty figuring out is whether or not a particular external hard drive will allow me to back-up programs or not. Should I assume that if there is enough space, I can back up programs as well as data onto any hard drive I purchase?

- Collapse -
Backup programs

Almost all Backup programs will not backup programs themselves, rather they backup the data only. This is because programs can be replaced (via CD/ DVD, Online Downloads, Install CD's, etc.), whereas data (including music, photos, etc.) is irreplaceable

CNET Forums