Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Recommendations for powerful Wifi Access Point over 4 floors

by yellowtoes / April 6, 2011 3:25 AM PDT

We live on floors 1&2 of a building, and are looking to share wifi internet with our neighbour directly above us on the 4th floor.

Most of the time the signal on the 1st floor is good enough for email - or for posting to this forum for example. Sometimes it cuts out or is simply too weak.

It's impossible to search online stores via the strength these things kick out.

Any suggestions on a good, reliable, powerful AP that we can hook up on the 4th floor and get decent internet on the 1st?

(Preferably suggestions from people using an AP for a similar application.)

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommendations for powerful Wifi Access Point over 4 floors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommendations for powerful Wifi Access Point over 4 floors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Government regulated
by bill012 / April 6, 2011 3:53 AM PDT

All wireless routers put out the maximum allowed power. It varies from country to country.

The key reason you are having trouble is the antenna are designed to transmit the signal horizontally. If you have external antenna on your router the easiest solution is to tilt one of them parallel to the table. If you do not have external antenna you can try to tip the unit on its side and see if it makes a difference.

If this does not work the only other choice you will have is buy a directional antenna which concentrates the power into a narrower beam. You of course need a router you can change the antenna on to even try this.

Floors are much more dense than interior walls so you will get much more signal loss. You can most likely improve your signal a little but there is no way to ensure it works. Sounds like you are in a multi tenant building and the floors and ceilings are sealed and insulated much better than a normal home. The features they use to attempt to block sound transmission do a great job of blocking wireless also.

The only sure way that will work is to run a cable. Depending who owns the building etc etc you may find a place you can run a ethernet cable. After that you have many options as to what to hook to the cable.

Collapse -
thanks
by yellowtoes / April 6, 2011 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Government regulated

thanks for the reply

not all routers are the same! I did a few hours research before posting here, they do differ in power output, it's just not possible to search for a the best one - and I'm after recommendations.

Our building is from 1860, the floors are timber (wattle and daub ceilings) and the walls masonry, which is why it works okay at the moment. We just need to improve it a bit more.

Collapse -
If you say so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

After years of trying many routers (I also installed too many!) the truth is not one is much better than the next IF we exclude the "dogs."

I fear many will be upset as they get some advice on a more powerful unit then find it barely improved or worsened the situation.
Bob

Collapse -
don't take my word for it
by yellowtoes / April 6, 2011 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: If you say so.
Collapse -
recommendations please
by yellowtoes / April 6, 2011 6:02 AM PDT

so, in summary, what I'm really after, are some recommendations from people who use routers over several floors...

Collapse -
Netgear 3700 model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: recommendations please

I've had a few, this one covers the area as good as all I've had to date.

As to your supplied link, you make me wonder why you don't pick from the best on that list?

Remember that when you get into the "good" routers, one is very much like the next for the reason noted in the first reply. No router can legally be more powerful.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?