Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

General discussion

Recommendations for new phone

by lcsusa / January 30, 2007 1:08 PM PST

I want the following in order of importance:

1. E-mail; Internet (screen must be able to be seen in sunlight; WiFi, 3G
1a. Full QWERTY keyboard, well-backlit
2. Phone coverage (clarity); speakerphone
3. MP3, maybe radio
4. Camera
5. Low cost with new plan

I am a current Cingular customer but have completed my current two-year commitment. I want to take advantage of free offers on the web but the phone I first chose, a Nokia E62 which met my needs, and was coupled with a plan with Cingular, I found I could not get free because I was already a Cingular customer. That seems screwed up but I understand that thay are trying to get customers away from the competition.

Choices have come down to the E62, Cing. 8525, T-Mobile Dash, T-Mobile MDA.

Are there any other other devices out there that anyone knows about that would fit the criteria?

Thanks in advance!

-Larry

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
RE: Recommendations for new phone
by jafarm66 / January 31, 2007 6:15 AM PST

If you want real 3G (NOT EDGE) and GSM with a full keyboard, you are looking at either the Cingular 8525 or the Samsung Blackjack. I personally have the LG CU500 3G Cingular phone and the speed is amazing. If you are willing to change carriers to Verizon you can get the Motorola Q which uses the CDMA version of 3G called EVDO. Tmobile is only EDGE and I am not familiar with Sprint.

Collapse -
Thanks for recommendations.
by lcsusa / February 1, 2007 12:23 AM PST

Thanks to all. I'll keep them in mind for when my commitment ends to see if I can get a deal on them. I'd prefer the 8525 but the cost is above what I had intended to spend. But we'll see in June.

Collapse -
Tmoble dash rules
by Smoores3193 / January 31, 2007 9:00 AM PST

Tmobile dash has everything your looking for and more. It also has a nice keyboard and slim factor to it. Dont get the E62 my friend got it and does nothing ut complain about how it doesnt work. (Plus it deosnt have wifi). Overall Dash would be my choice but if u want to stay with cingular the 8525 is a really nice phone

Collapse -
tmoble dash rules
by maailman / January 21, 2008 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: Tmoble dash rules

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!