Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

Recommendations for Ipod Ready Head units?

by baronessblixen / April 13, 2006 6:18 AM PDT

I recently put a Panasonic CQ-C7103U into my car so that I can use my Ipod. I have discovered that while it looked good in the store when actually using it in the car the use of playlist is cumbersome at best. The unit is overall good but the only way to use the ipod is either be very creative with your playlists or get used to a very slow scrolling. Since I have a 60Gig Ipod scrolling from a-z would take hours.
So does anybody have any suggestions on better units or how to manage it better?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommendations for Ipod Ready Head units?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommendations for Ipod Ready Head units?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Harmon Kardon Drive + Play
by krustaeon / April 14, 2006 6:25 AM PDT

I almost bought an expensive Clarion head unit for road tripping with my iPod. Then I found out just what you said, scrolling and accessing your music is tedious and time consuming.

So I went with the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play unit. It's not a head unit but controls the iPod as a peripheral. The controller mounts almost anywhere. The small screen can be placed on the dash or windshield or you may be able to use your onboard head unit's display.

Scrolling is just as fast as on the iPod and this unit was installed complete for less than 500 bucks. I'm happy with it. I use a 40 Gig iPod and had given up trying to use it in the car until now.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Simplistic Answer -
by Msorensen / April 21, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

I use a $10 tape converter to listen to my ipod in the car. I use the actual ipod controls to move through the music and podcasts. I'm sure it costs less than $500 to have a tape player put in your car if you don't have one. The sound quality is fine. You don't need to get one of those expensive converters either - the cheap ones work just as well.
It looks like a tape with a cord coming off that plugs into the headset jack of the ipod. I did research on the wireless radio signallers and found mixed comments from people. I think the tape converter is the best option for ipods in the car.

Collapse -
Neo Ion
by sicky nar-nar / April 21, 2006 2:41 PM PDT

I had the same problem as you recently and i think i found the best solution. i chose the Neo Ion. after it is installed it is merely a cable(looks like a charging cable but a bit shorter) that sticks out of your dash, glovebox, etc. the cable charges your ipod and you can either use the stereo controls to play playlists or access the ipod's software and control what is playing from the ipod itsef. i found this product had no problem charging and playing the ipod. i think it would be a perfect solution for your problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!