Question

Recommendations for a wifi media server

Hello Everyone! I am looking for a recommendation for the best wifi media server to purchase. I am looking for two primary functions: 1- Have the ability to subscribe to NetFlix and 2- also have the ability to play iMovies, iDVD's and view iPhoto pictures, from my iMAC computer in the other room. We have broadband through Comcast, and we also just purchased a new router (NetGear WNDR3700-100NAR - which I was told was a good one). I have researched AppleTV, the Sony media player, and others - there seems to be mixed reviews and opinions and I am getting a bit confused.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Recommendations for a wifi media server
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recommendations for a wifi media server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
The best would never be on wifi. Here's why.

Because how wifi works you would never want the media server to be on wifi. You instantly cut the possible speed in half or worse as the packet goes to the router then again to the client.

Best is wired to the router.

This should help widen the choices.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you!! any recommended Products?

Thank you! That does make sense. Do you rcommend any brands or product lines? I am technical enough to be dangerous (actually - I am not even dangerous).

I can nderstand technical "speak" - but really don't know much about where to start.

Thanks again!

- Collapse -
Look at Twonky
- Collapse -
Answer
My media server is

A 228 buck netbook I found at walmart. There are wide ranges of what a media server needs to do but for me I wanted to avoid the many hundred Watt old PC solution. These newer netbooks tap from 7 to 15 Watts (screen off/on) and I can add USB HDDs as needed.

The definition of this media server needs a lot of definition. But this one is mine.
Bob

CNET Forums