Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Recommendation - Spyblaster or Microsoft Antispyware (beta)

Any one of these better than the other. Right now I am using AVG, Spybot, and Ad-aware. I am not sure I need a fourth program or not but I found these and people seem to like them both. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommendation - Spyblaster or Microsoft Antispyware (beta)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommendation - Spyblaster or Microsoft Antispyware (beta)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which one?

In reply to: Recommendation - Spyblaster or Microsoft Antispyware (beta)

Spyware blaster is not a scanner,but it is good to have,reasons being.

Prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.

Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

MS anti spyware:I have it and don't see anything special about it.

Tom

Collapse -
Are you sure you're not mistaking Spyblaster for..

In reply to: Recommendation - Spyblaster or Microsoft Antispyware (beta)

Javacool's SpywareBlaster??

I haven't heard of Spyblaster, but please make sure you are not confusing the two. You could wind up in a "heap a" trouble! Wink

Carol

(I have both and am satisfied with both. I am one of the few who do not complain, if it doesn't pick up all sorts of items. But that's... just me.)

Collapse -
Its the one....

In reply to: Are you sure you're not mistaking Spyblaster for..

Its the one that prevents spyware from ever being installed on your computer.

Collapse -
Just to be sure.....

In reply to: Are you sure you're not mistaking Spyblaster for..

Is it the java one that I want?

Collapse -
basically, as many as you can handle..

In reply to: Just to be sure.....

so, to answer your question, I say, Both..

Collapse -
I believe the one you are referring to..

In reply to: Just to be sure.....

when you say ''Java'' is ''Javacool's'' SpywareBlaser. It can be downloaded directly from their website.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

Wilder's Security is the official website for SpywareBlaster which Javacool makes. It's loaded with information and has a group of people more than willing to help you out. (As is here ;))

You'll most likely get a lot of opinions, mine just being another one. I think it's well worth having. If you should decide on both, I can tell you they work well together, on my machine.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions..
Carol

Collapse -
gjkiii.. some added reading..

In reply to: I believe the one you are referring to..

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: gjkiii.. some added reading..

Carol, whats the other spyblaster you were referring to. I had heard that there is another spyblaster program but its bad news and I should not use it. Am I right? Also is the microsoft spyware one worth having as well?

Collapse -
You're welcome! Don't remember the name..

In reply to: Thank you

but to be sure, I did look it up. I had remembered reading here where someone downloaded something that sounded like it and wound up with alot of problems. When I looked it up, it seems as though at other forum's, people are confusing the names just as you are. (They will ask about ''Spyblaster'' and other's will reply back about ''Spyware Blaster'', as Tom did in the first post.)

Is there a specific reason you're asking, since you do have the legitimate link above? You keep saying ''spyblaster'' instead of ''SpywareBlaster''. (I'm not being critical. I'd like to see you get it out of your head, so you don't make a mistake with the wrong one! I can assure you that it is Javacool's SpywareBlaster. This I know for sure. Not much I can say that about! Wink )

I can only tell you my opinion of Microsoft's Anti-Spayware. Everyone has different opinions! I happen to like it's real time protection, amongst other things. Some people complain ''it doesn't find anything''. That's fine with me. It doesn't necessarily mean it's useless. I have a few programs that all pick up different kinds of ''malware''. That is what is important to me.

No doubt your head will be spinning after reading everyone's opinions. In the end.. it's up to you.

The best of luck to you..
Carol

Collapse -
I was just curious....

In reply to: You're welcome! Don't remember the name..

The only reason why I was asking was out of curiousity, Thanks for all the help Carol.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!