HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Recommendation - Monitor vs. LCD TV, and graphics card

by AC / January 24, 2008 4:35 AM PST

I am thinking about upgrading from my 5-year old 19" LCD monitor to something that would be better for both simple photo editing and also as my primary screen for watching DVD movies (no jokes please!).

Is there any reason why I shouldn't choose a 26" or 32" LCD television instead of a PC monitor?

And would a graphics card do anything for me? I am not a PC gamer but notice that DVD scenes with motion can look choppy on my current monitor and I am not sure if it is the monitor's fault or the PC's built-in graphics card. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommendation - Monitor vs. LCD TV, and graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommendation - Monitor vs. LCD TV, and graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info needed
by lacsr / January 24, 2008 8:32 PM PST

If your DVD watching is producing noticeable choppiness, then it could be several reasons. It could be the video card, motherboard, CPU, or OS. Or even a combination of these. It might be the monitor if the refresh rate is too slow or the response speed of the monitor is too low. Changing to a TV for a monitor would only make it worse if the system is at fault.

Collapse -
re: monitor vs lcd tv
by ramarc / January 24, 2008 10:57 PM PST

Inexpensive TVs won't have the color range or accuracy of a good 22" or 24" monitor ($300 - $400). They'll also have a lower resolution (1366x768 or 1280x720 vs 1680x1050 or 1920x1200). If you'd also like to watch high def TV, consider this viewsonic with an HD tuner and high resolution: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcdtv/NX2232w/

Choppy DVD playback could be due to a slow (by current standards) CPU. Most new video cards offer decoding assist to help the CPU so they may help you in that respect.

Collapse -
Moniters and video card
by tregister2 / January 25, 2008 3:22 PM PST

This is really a no brainer a LCD is much better that a moniter.
Video card if your a gamer and like to watch movies on your computer
upgrade it if you can afford it. RThe newer VC's are so much better you wont believe your eye's how much more detailed your games and movies will be.
One more thing get a good sound card to make the expierance a whole lot better. I have a sound blaster X-FI high fidality extreme music with creative 5.1 surround sound and love it. /just a thought\

tregister2

Collapse -
I chose an LCD
by tedtks / January 25, 2008 5:09 PM PST

My newest upgrade - a dell 24in monitor.