For a charity in the UK I want to create a file with
donor names
donation amout
total donation from each donor
tax refund -value in currency of 28% of each donation
total of each donors donation and tax refund
total of all donations and also of tax refunds
and to be able to present the results in a tabulated report

Are the formulae I need available in "free to use" text document, spreedsheet and database appliacations?
Which would be best?

ideas and suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

Tedathy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recommendation for table of data with calculations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recommendation for table of data with calculations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: recommendation

In reply to: recommendation for table of data with calculations

Your requirements are lacking some important details:
- how will the database be filled with data
- quantity of data present
- quantity of transactions
- how long should historic data be maintained

On the first sight, this looks like a project of, say, half a man-year (or more) to get a basic application.

My advice: find a reputable IT-company to do a system design and make a quotation for building the system.

Kees

Collapse -
more details

In reply to: Re: recommendation

Thanks for your comments/queries. Here is the missing details

1) data to be typed in

2& 3) approximate 50 donors so allow for 100
each donor making approx 20 donations per year so allow for 50
so max of 100 x 50 = 5000 transactions
name and address of donors and dates of donation to be recorded

4) legal requirement for 7 years so say 10years on CD/DVD with 3 years on PC

I had hoped that with the little datbase knowledge I have and a "free to use" database program with support to be able to construct the input forms, data tables, and reports myself. At present I do it by paper and pencil which is subject to errors.

Paid help is out of the question

Teka

Collapse -
Here's the key word.

In reply to: recommendation for table of data with calculations

The key word in your question is "report."

Many confuse the database with the "report." For your database you enter in all the input data then you create reports that create the "report" you want.

Sadly you'll find people trying to do database work in a spreadsheet which is limited to just how you arrange the data. No concept of database, reports, etc.

About your "free" document, spreadsheet and database applications. There's Open Office and MySQL. There are ways to tie the report to be in the spreadsheet with the source data from MySQL but that is too involved to fit in this small space. Besides it's been discussed and from memory is in the Wiki of Open Office and/or MySQL.

In closing are you aware of the differences of database, spreadsheets and reports? If not you may not be happy with using these tools.
Bob

Collapse -
Key Word

In reply to: Here's the key word.

Thanks for your contribution

I will follow up your suggestions for OpenOffice and MySQL.

I have used MS Excel and Access for very simple tasks and dBase3 for a simple sales ledger. So I think that I understand some of the principles and differences between spreedsheet and database, but learning never stops!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!