HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Recommend to record live bands with sound

by mrcass / September 24, 2007 2:38 AM PDT

Hi, can anyone Recommend a good quality camcorder to record live bands with sound and then edit and upload to a website?

Also, i want to be able to provide presentation DVD's for businesses

Any help would be appreciated as i am new to this

Dont want a cheap one, would rather pay at least

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommend to record live bands with sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommend to record live bands with sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Good Quality" is a relative term...
by boya84 / September 24, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

I would looking for a miniDV tape-based camcorder with a mic-in jack and manual audio control capabilities.

If you tape the band and grab the live audio, you will probably want an external stereo mic. The RODE video stereo mic, Audio Technica AT-822 and NRG SA-800 use a 1/8 inch jack to plug directly into the camera's mic-in jack. Good mics use XLR plugs - see the XLR adapter reference, below...

If you the audio engineer allows you to get a board mix (and the audio engineer sends you a discreet mix from a couple of AUX sends - and has everything mic'd to do that properly), you will probably want to use an XLR adapter like a BeachTek DXA-6.

In either case, if you let the automatic audio leveling circuit to do its job, most amplified music will be to loud causing the audio to sound very muddy - to the point of being unusable.

So... is the mic part of the budget? At least you know what to look for... mic-in jack and manual audio control.

Once you get the footage into a computer for editing, you can manipulate the project to whatever size you want for uploading.

Collapse -
What about Sony DCR-VX2100 Mini DV Camcorder
by mrcass / September 24, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

Hi and thanks for the info, very informative

I am looking at the Sony DCR-VX2100 Mini DV Camcorder, what do you think?

Cheers

Mrcass

Collapse -
The Sony DCR-VX2100 would be a great camera
by boya84 / September 24, 2007 11:15 PM PDT

to do what you want... But I guess it depends what you pay for it.

I am not suggesting you get these cameras - but, in case you have not, at least take a look at them:
Canon GL2
Panasonic DVX100

Collapse -
A bit pricey?
by mrcass / September 26, 2007 3:45 AM PDT

Hi and thanks again

They seem a little pricey compared to that Sony, the problem is i guess, you spend all that money and then realise, you should have spent a little more

Maybe the sony is good enough though, have not seen anything negative about it so far and for around

Collapse -
I think the VX2100 will be perfectly fine
by boya84 / September 26, 2007 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: A bit pricey?

for what you will be shooting. Mics or board mix or field recorder connectivity are your next challenges.

The Shure VP88 or Audio Technica AT-825 are good mid-level stereo mics.

Collapse -
Good info
by mrcass / September 26, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

Thanks for that

I do like that Sony and the mike info is good, will check these out

Someone mentioned a sennheiser but which one?

Cheers

Mrcass

Collapse -
I *think* the only Sennheiser stereo mic
by boya84 / September 26, 2007 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Good info

is a shotgun... I don't know what type of music you are recording, but I don't think I would use this for that application.
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=005284

Plus it is a bit on the expensive side - but it is your $. And I would LOVE to have a mic like that!

I don't know if you need to be portable, but perhaps a couple of condensers like these http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=500206 mounted in an "x/y" configuration (the left mic pointing to the right; the right mic pointing to the left) might be in order...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone_practice

Sennheisers are great if you can afford them.

Collapse -
Dood mike info
by mrcass / September 27, 2007 3:45 AM PDT

Hi and thanks for the info

Yes, it seems the shotgun is the one but the other seems more affordable, i'm sure i could shop around for a good price

I will probably go for the sony vx2100, seems an excellent choice for recording live (pub) bands and everything else, then will have to decide on the mike

Thanks for the links

Mrcass

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.