General discussion

Recommend best website creator - Please?

Our business is looking to create a new website (our old one was created with the now defunct FrontPage), and we'd like to use newer, still-current software. Several people in our organization will be responsible for designing and updating the site, but only one of us has some ability with html. For this reason, we'd like something featuring a wysiwyg layout. We'd also like to use a program with a very current (our business appeals to mostly young customers [10 - 20 year olds] who require a bit of "entertainment" to keep their interest) and very complete list of features. We've checked into Microsoft Expression Web and Dreamweaver, but we're a bit timid about getting involved in software that may be too complicated and too far "over our heads." Can someone recommend a web creating software program that is very stable, has a very simple interface, yet is still very powerful? Thanks. We would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Recommend best website creator - Please?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recommend best website creator - Please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
WYSIWYG editors...

As a developer, Expression Web 2 is my preferred editor due to its extensive functionality, which also contributes to its intimidating layout from a new-user perspective. In your case, my recommendation would be Apple's iWeb (Mac OS X only), which is perhaps the easiest editor to learn/use while including a variety of templates to minimize the initial grunt work. If you're under a Windows constraint, however, Dreamweaver CS4 would be my recommendation as the closest product to a combination of Expression Web's functionality and iWeb's user-friendly design.

Regards,
John

- Collapse -
Thanks, John

John, thank you for answering my plea. As you mentioned, we are under a Windows constraint, so iWeb, unfortunately, is out of the picture. I will take your advice and lean toward Dreamweaver CS4 over Expression Web. Thanks again for your time.

- Collapse -
Check Out CoffeeCup

tmckev,

I use CoffeeCup software and like it very much. They have an html editor, with WYSIWYG abilities and they also have a Visual Site Designer. The designer is very easy to use and you don't have to know code to get a good, stable site up and you can buy the programs individually, or as a package. It is definitely worth a look, here is a link to a review page that was created with the Visual Site Designer, it might help you out a bit:
<br><br><a href="http://bestreviewsonearth.com/HowToMakeAWebsite.html" target="_blank">http://bestreviewsonearth.com/HowToMakeAWebsite.html</a><br><br>

Good luck-Weisus

- Collapse -
Thanks Weisus

I've received quite a few recommendations (on a different thread here) for SiteSpinner. It sounds, in many ways, similar to CoffeeCup. If things don't work out well with SS, you can certainly say, "I told you so," and we'll give your advice a shot. Thanks.

- Collapse -
XHTML site builder?

The source code generated by these site builders never seems too great. Does anyone know a builder that produces xhtml?

Thanks, Tom.

CNET Forums

Forum Info