General discussion

Recommend a low-power, low price 32"-40" TV?

I'm in the market for a $500 TV for the PC in my living room. However, due to my unusual requirements, the reviews I've found aren't all that helpful.

I need 1080p, because I will be using it as a computer monitor. I require a TV that goes to Standby when the signal from the PC disappears. That crosses all Toshibas off the list, as they'll happily draw full power to display the "no signal" message all day.

I don't intend to use the built-in TV tuner - this device will just be a monitor for a PC. I'm mostly blind to picture quality, and it doesn't matter much in Mozilla anyway, so I don't care about that.

LED TV's are promoted as using less power, but EnergyStar's testing indicates that many of them use much more power than their CCFL counterparts with default settings.

Thoughts?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Recommend a low-power, low price 32"-40" TV?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recommend a low-power, low price 32"-40" TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I don't if this meet ALL your requirement;

I saw this on today's L.A. Times paper; Fry's is offering a 42" 1080P lcd for $449 (normally $699).

- Collapse -
Also at Fry's

I bought a ASUS 24" computer monitor that has HDMI and is 1080p, so it can be used as for a TV or PC monitor. When my computer stops sending an active signal to the monitor, the monitor goes to sleep. This is a monitor, so it does not have a tuner, but it may be ideal for the PC use. Not sure if the ASUS is available in a 32"-40". Fry's did not have this ASUS on display, so I had to specifically ask for it.

- Collapse -
hmm

Well, that meets some of my criteria, but I can't tell from ANY of the reviews I've seen how much power it draws at minimum brightness (I'll draw the curtains to save a few dozen Watts, especially in the summer), nor how well APM is supported.

I know Samsung has a line of televisions with "presence sensors" and advanced power saving features, but they're out of my price range.

- Collapse -
Samsung LN32C550
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32C550-32-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0036WT3K2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287832284&sr=8-2

I have included an amazon link purely because it is a realistic place to find price and specs. It is apparently very energy efficient, cheaper than 32" and I read that it has much the same energy consumption as the average LED tv. I have bought 4 samsung TVs in the past and I find their performance, quality and looks superior, on average, to other brands; also, I know that you can set most of them to turn off when not connected after a few minutes.

Not quite sure why you need such a big screen for a monitor though.

CNET Forums

Forum Info