Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Recieving E mail with pictures or drawings

by whosit90210 / November 11, 2006 7:26 AM PST

When I recieve some E mail,sometimes I have no problems.Other times I get a page like section with a red X in a square in the upper left corner. I cannot view that item(s). Can anybody tell how to view them?
Mel Adler

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recieving E mail with pictures or drawings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recieving E mail with pictures or drawings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't
by jackson dougless / November 11, 2006 8:20 AM PST

The long and short of it is that the person who sent the message screwed up. Since this is an easy thing to do, I always recommend that people ATTACH photos and other such things to messages, and to avoid trying to embed them into the message. Attaching files is considerably more reliable, and compatible across email programs. It also allows you to improve your overall system security by disabling the loading of images. Spammers can embed a special code into an image that tells them your email address is valid when you load it. Specially crafted images can trigger exploits that allow malware, viruses, worms, and other undesired programs to be installed on your computer. A good first step to combating these is disabling the automatic loading of images in email messages. And as an added bonus, your odds of successfully getting images, sent to you by friends and family, improve as well.

The person with the originals will have to send them again, since the images were never sent the first time. Be sure to state, in no uncertain terms, that they are to ATTACH the files. If they, or you, do not know how, you can surely find copious amounts of information on the topic with a simple Google search.

Collapse -
you can't
by whosit90210 / November 11, 2006 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: You can't

This person whom sent me this mail checked with the recipients.
They all recievied the message correctly with out the red x

Collapse -
In that case
by jackson dougless / November 11, 2006 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: you can't

You probably have an overzealous firewall, virus scanner, and/or malware scanner. The best solution still is to have them ATTACH images rather than trying to embed them. Email was designed for sending TEXT messages, and the further away you get from that, the more likely problems are to arise. All the animations, images, colors, fonts, and whatever else people like to try and put in email messages just reduce the likelihood that it's going to even vaguely resemble what you see on the other end, and it also clogs up servers with all the extra baggage.

Please do the considerate thing for everyone else who uses the Internet, and impress upon this person the importance of resisting the urge to add all of these things to email messages. If they want to do all that, they can make a web page, and then send a nice text link to people they want to see it. Web servers are much better equipped to handle the extra traffic over email servers.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!