Mac OS forum

Question

Recently a black box which moves with my on screen pointer.

by geturdone01 / October 19, 2012 8:09 PM PDT

I suspect the problem is related to a plug-in. The computer is a 2007 MacBook with the most up to date version of Snow Leopard. Often the black box doesn't appear immediately with power on, but will eventually appear. Anyone have a similar problem or can give me advise?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recently a black box which moves with my on screen pointer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recently a black box which moves with my on screen pointer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually sounds like a common GPU failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

Does this unknown model use that Nvidia 8xxx GPU? It was in the news.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you.. It uses the Intel GMA X3100: GPU
by geturdone01 / October 20, 2012 11:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Any chance of supplying the exact model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

Now that I have one more clue I've seen this with non-standard RAM in many Intel GMA solutions.
Bob

Collapse -
MacBook 3.1.... late 2007, dual Intel core... Please let me
by geturdone01 / October 21, 2012 7:01 AM PDT

Thank you. Please let me your thoughts or if you need more information.

Collapse -
So far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 8:14 AM PDT

I'm thinking non-standard RAM. The Intel GMA has been spotted to do that when the memory is not up to the task.

-> But why didn't you reply to that idea? You should know if something is not stock there.

The next idea is heat. Tell us about your yearly canned air cleaning.
Bob

Collapse -
Think I found a solution
by geturdone01 / October 23, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: So far.

You are correct that I installed new RAM several months ago, but The black box only started appearing a couple weeks ago. The solution that seems to have solved the problem was under System Preferences... Universal Access.... Seeing. The mystery is that I had never changed any of the settings under Seeing before. I continue to think that a Plug-in or App somehow changed something in preferences. I made some changes to the preferences and the black box has stopped appearing so far. Thank you for your help. Sorry I couldn't get back to you right away.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?